Once you’ve been offered a bed at the John M. Parrott Centre, make sure you have all the required documents.

You’ll need:

  1. Power of Attorney documents (both for Property and Care);
  2. Prior year’s Notice of Assessment (for residents applying for a rate reduction in basic accommodation). The Notice of Assessment is the only acceptable document once a person is admitted to a long-term care facility;
  3. A Void cheque will be required to set up Direct Debit;
  4. A cheque to pay for the current month’s accommodation fee;
  5. Cash or cheque to deposit money into the resident comfort account.

If you’re part of a couple, consider applying for “Statement-Spouses or Common-Law partners living apart for reasons beyond their control” through Service Canada so you can maximize your government benefits to help pay for your residence here.

You’ll need someone to come with you when you move in.


Here’s what you’ll need to do when you arrive:

Check in at the Reception desk so a staff member can show you to your room. You’ll meet with nursing staff to provide complete background documentation and fill out forms and consents so you can get the care you need when you need it. This will take up to 90 minutes to complete.

You’ll move all your furnishings, fixtures and electrical devices through the Receiving entrance with the help of staff so it can be documented by the Environmental Services Staff. Then your items will go to your room. Your clothes will go to laundry for cleaning and labelling so you don’t lose anything. Ask about bringing your belongings the day before you move in.

Guidelines: How to ensure your new home is a safe and functional living and working environment

You’re encouraged to make your room a home, just be aware of the limited space that may be available.