As you open your door this morning, take a moment to listen to the sounds of bird calls. For me, this is one of the best reminders that Spring is upon us. In the County of Lennox & Addington we have more than 350 species of birds to enjoy! For more info on birding in L&A click here.
Bird watching or birding is a great family activity to explore either from the outdoors or, more suitably now that we're self-isolating due to COVID-19, your window.
Using our Overdrive and Hoopla online resources you can download birding guides, picture books stories, drawing and origami manuals, and even some cozy mysteries featuring our feathered friends.
While you are birding, take some pictures and share them with everyone on Instagram with #UnspoiledLA - it lets the neighborhood know to watch out for that bright pair of cardinals, the lone heron flying over daily to fish, or maybe even that rare Northern Mockingbird.
Check out these titles available from Overdrive and/or Hoopla and enjoy a day with nature:
- Bird Watching by John R. Hess
- The Tea: Olive Bird Watching Society by Augusta Trobaugh
- Hatching a Chick by Dona Herweck Rice
- Baby Birds by Julie Zickefoose
- This Birding Life by Stephen Moss
- Drawing Zentangle Birds by Catherine Ard
- Origami Fun: Birds by Robyn Hardyman
Snowy Owl photo courtesy Diane Irwin Photography