What's better than viewing the night sky the way it's meant to be seen? Seeing it with dozens of other stargazers!
The Lennox & Addington Dark Sky Viewing Area hosts monthly events from May through September. Events take place on weekends near a new moon. Each start at dusk and last about 90 minutes. Weather permitting, you'll get a laser-guided tour of the night sky and have a chance to take a look through a telescope. These events are a great way for novice stargazers to get acquainted with the night sky.
Our organized public viewing events have wrapped up for the 2017 season, but that doesn't mean that the fun is over. If it's a clear , moonless night, there's a good chance that there will be a gathering of novice stargazers and amateur astronomers and astrophotographers at the DSVA.
Mark your 2018 Stargazing Calendars!
Don't miss our upcoming events at the L&A Dark Sky Viewing Area!
Our popular Stargazing Tours will be once again hosted by Joe Gilker from Dark Arts Astrophotography. Beginning about an hour after dusk, Joe will provide visitors with a fun and informative laser-guided tour of the night sky. With the help of Tim Trentadue, attendees will get an up-close look at seasonal celestial objects through some high-powered telescopes.
New for 2018 is Astrophotographers Assemble, an informal evening where night sky photographers - from novice to expert and everyone in between - are encouraged to come out and photograph the stars overhead. Events occur on Saturday evenings on or near a new moon. We encourage you to send us your pics and we'll share them on our social media channels!
Here's the schedule (dates subject to change):
- May 11th & 12th - The Spring Sky Stargazing Tour
- May 19th - Astrophotographers Assemble
- June 8th & 9th - Almost Summer Stargazing Tour
- June 16th - Astrophotographers Assemble
- July 6th & 7th - Summertime Stargazing Tour
- July 14th - Astrophotographers Assemble
- August 3rd & 4th - The Milky Way Stargazing Tour
- August 11th - Astrophotographers Assemble
- August 12th - 14th: Perseid Meteor Shower
- September 8th - Astrophotographers Assemble
- September 14th & 15th - Almost Autumn Stargazing Tour
Before you arrive at the Dark Sky Viewing Area, be sure to check out the helpful links on our Plan Your Visit page that you can choose the perfect night to view the night sky the way it was meant to be seen.