Tourism
Share This PageEmail This Page
PrintRSS

plaques.jpg

Municipal
Economic Development
 Where is L & A ?
CyclingDiningExploringGeo Caching Motor CyclingShoppingCounty Trails
Historical Buildings & Information Plaques | Print |

museums2nd.jpgLennox & Addington County is home to a large number of historic buildings and events.  Many buildings which date back to the late 1700's and early 18oo’s.  Below is a list of a just a few of the buildings in Lennox & Addington County with a historically significant past.

  • The Lennox & Addington County Court House was constructed in 1865, originally designed by Thomas Fuller, the architect of Canada's first Parliament Buildings.  A mixing of Palladian and Italianate architectural details, worked in local limestone, suitably expressed the building's stately function.
  • The Lennox & Addington County Museum, housed in a 19th century jail, is now home to an historical and genealogical research centre.
    The Greater Napanee Town Hall is an example of carefully preserved 19th century architecture. It also has links with Canada's first Prime Minister; Sir John A. delivered his last campaign speech in 1891 from the balcony of the Town Hall.
  • The Old Hay Bay Church was built in 1792 on land donated by Paul Huff, it is the oldest Methodist Church in Upper Canada. A National Historic Monument, Hay Bay Church was the first meeting house for Loyalists in Ontario.
    The United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre is housed in the Historic "Allison House" (c.1876) in Adolphustown contains artifacts, family papers, maps, records, charts, surveys, histories, community and government records dating from the landing of the Loyalists in 1784.
  • Adolphustown Loyalist Memorial Church - St. Alban the Martyr commemorates the local Anglican congregation which dates back to 1784 and its first church built in 1822.
     

 

The village of Bath has a large number of historic residences.  Please click here to download a Historic Walking Tour brochure.


You can discover more of our Loyalist history by visiting L&A’s historical plaques that are situated throughout the County.  More information about each of the 24 plaques listed below can be found by visiting www.OntarioPlaques.com.

  • Adolphustown: Bay of Quinte Loyalist Settlement, Loyalist Landing Place, Loyalist Memorial Church, Hay Bay Church 1792, The Quakers of Adolphustown
  • Amherst Island: Daniel Fowler
  • Amherstview: Fairfield House
  • Bath: Bath Academy, Founding of Bath, Hawley House, Lieutenant-Colonel Edwin Albert Baker 1893-1968, Madeleine de Roybon d'Allonne c. 1646-1718, Reverend John Langhorn 1744-1817
  • Camden East: Sir Gilbert Parker 1862-1932
  • Conway: Hazelton Spencer
  • Kaladar: The Addington Road, Bon Echo Inn
  • Napanee: The MacPherson House, The Napanee Mills
  • Newburgh: John Thomson 1837-1920, Sir Allen Bristol Aylesworth 1854-1952
  • Sandhurst: Escape of the Royal George 1812, Lieutenant-Colonel James Rogers 1726-1790, Reverend Robert James McDowall 1786-1841
     

 

 

© 2017 L & A Tourism
County of Lennox & Addington
97 Thomas Street East
Napanee, ON K7R 4B9
CANADA
tourism@lennox-addington.on.ca
T: 613.354.4883
F: 613.354.3112