341 Main Street, Bath
William and Benjamin Fairfield purchased Lot 11, Con 1 in Ernestown from the original Loyalist grantee, George McGinnis, in 1793. They built what is now known as the Fairfield-Gutzeit House in 1796. Both brothers were prominent in the community, serving as members of the Legislative Assembly. William was a magistrate and a commissioner of roads, and Benjamin was a member of the Court of Quarter Session and a businessman with special interests in shipping. The Fairfield-Gutzeit is a Georgian Style home; one of the first dwellings built in Ontario on the shores of Lake Ontario in the historic village of Bath.
The campus consists of a large waterfront property that is owned and cared for by the charitable non-profit Fairfield/Gutzeit Society. This beautiful example of early Canada is fully furnished in the Victorian era with the gardens being cared for by the Bath Gardening Club. Many cultural and historic programs are offered for all age groups by the Society in conjuction with the Royal Ontario Museum. The main house is open for tours from the middle of June until Labour Day.
For more information, please visit www.VillageOfBath.com.