Share This PageEmail This Page
Economic Development
 Where is L & A ?
CyclingDiningExploringGeo Caching Motor CyclingShoppingCounty Trails
Lennox & Addington Museum & Archives | Print |

 Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives

97 Thomas Street East, Napanee, ON K7R 4B9 [Map]
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

The Museum & Archives provides insights into everyday life from the late eighteenth through the twentieth century and focuses particularly on telling the story of Lennox and Addington County. The story of the settlement and historical development of the County is highlighted in themed exhibits, a modern reading room, genealogical research opportunities as well as regularly scheduled programming and special events about a wide variety of topics.

We invite you to explore the information below, or better yet, come for a visit - you won't be disappointed.

facebook_s tripadvisor


Open Monday - Saturday, 10am-5pm
Closed Holidays

Daily Rates:
Adults: $3 | Seniors/Students: $2.50
Children Under 12: Free

Annual Passes:
Adults: $25 | Students: $20
Seniors: $20




The Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives regulary hosts a variety of events on an array of topics. Please take a look below for details.


Tim Sheffield... Live at the Museum

L&A County Museum & Archives
October 27th, 7 pm
Admission $3

Live at the Museum returns with talented local musician Tim Sheffield on October 27th...

You’re invited to a great night of music at the Lennox and Addington County Museum in Napanee. On Thursday, October 27th at 7pm, join Tim Sheffield for a performance Live at the Museum.  Tim will playing this great venue with fiddler Al Duquette. There will be lots of storytelling & foot stomping fun in store! He will be playing some songs from his CD The Chronicles of Clem Chesterfield & lots of acoustic ditties! It is sure to be a fun evening at the museum that you won’t want to miss.

'Live at the Museum' is proudly presented by the County of Lennox & Addington. Tickets are only $3 each and are available at the door. Find out more by calling 613-354-3027.

About Tim Sheffield:
From an early age, Tim Sheffield has been involved in music. It continues to be his passion. Tim's father Ron and mother Dorothy instilled his love for music early on. He is thankful to have had his father as his first guitar teacher, and there were always encouraged a variety of stringed instruments that were readily available in his house house. From 2004-2012 Tim Sheffield taught music at Sheffield Family Music, building a school with 5 teachers instructing 75 students per week in guitar, bass, piano, vocal and drums. He now teaches out of his home studio in Kingston and will always enjoy introducing children and adults to music through playing the guitar. Tim has performed in talented groups, entertained countless solo shows, and has many recordings to his credit. He will be  performing solo at the museum event… an area that still gives him butterflies when he takes to the stage. There is a strength in numbers that he finds playing music in a band, but solo performances require a different approach. The intimacy of the gig really excites him and challenges him to bring his best performance every time. For more info visit


Nordic Walking & Walking Sticks

L&A County Museum & Archives, 97 Thomas Street East, Napanee
November 5th, 10 am
Admission: FREE

If you can walk, you can Nordic Pole Walk. Kids, learn all about it on November 5th...

Museum Kids returns on November 5th at 10am. If you can walk you can Nordic Pole Walk. Best of all it’s an exercise children and adults can enjoy. Join Jaye Yarrin RHN, NNCP  from Harmony in Health and learn the basics, history and benefits of the fastest growing sports trend. Also, Ken Naunton from the Quinte Wood Carvers will be cane carving and displayng his works in the program room. Admission is free! For more information, please visit


Folk Art – the Eccentric and Exceptional

November 15th, 7 pm
L&A County Museum & Archives
Admission: $3

Learn about folk art with guest exhibitors David & Mary Jo Field on November 15th...

Tuesday Night at the Museum returns on November 15th with a talk by featured guest exhibitors David and Mary Jo Field. Folk art is a widely used term and often misunderstood. In the antique collecting community, folk art is recognized as a distinct art form and is often highly valued. The exhibit addresses the origin and definition of folk art, the prevalence of folk art in domestic life – both utilitarian and play, and the extensive use of animal imagery in folk art. Special attention will be focused on pieces and people that contributed to folk art from L&A County and surrounding area. Tickets are $3 each and available at the door. For more information, please call 613-354-3027.

An exhibit of their collection is featured in the front cases of the museum from October 18th – January 20th. 

About David and Mary Jo Field:
David and Mary Jo Field have been collecting, admiring, dealing in, and living with folk art for over four decades.  Since buying their first antique cupboard in 1970, they have sought out unusual and hand-made pieces which appeal to their aesthetic sense and make them smile.  In part of their working lives they lived and travelled outside Canada for a number of years, giving them exposure to the genre in many places.  Since moving to L&A County in 1990, they continue to be involved in antiques and folk art, as vendors in several shows, writing about folk artists and assisting with a museum display of folk art for an Ottawa Valley museum."


Amanda Sadler... Live at the Museum

L&A County Museum & Archives
November 24th, 7 pm
Admission $3

Live at the Museum returns with talented musician Amanda Sadler on November 24th...

You’re invited to a great night of music at the Lennox and Addington County Museum in Napanee.

On Thursday, November 24th at 7pm, join Amanda Sadler for a performance Live at the Museum. A seasoned performer and multi-instrumentalist, Amanda has performed at hundreds of locations locally and internationally. Amanda's angelic vocals with a hint of edge and emotion-filled songs give her an exceptionally unique country sound.. It will be an evening of great music that you won’t want to miss.

'Live at the Museum' is proudly presented by the County of Lennox & Addington. Tickets are $3 each and are available at the door. Find out more by calling 613-354-3027.


Hockey Card Collecting
with Mike Wilson, the Ultimate Leafs Fan

L&A County Museum & Archives, 97 Thomas Street East, Napanee
December 3rd, 10 am
Admission: FREE

It's all in the cards! On December 3rd, learn about hockey card collecting with the ultimate Leafs fan, Mike Wilson...

Museum Kids returns on December 3rd at 10 am. If your child is a hockey card collector, this is a great opportunity to share their collection with others and meet Mike Wilson, a hockey card collecting expert. Whether you’re a novice or experienced collector, you can benefit from learning the ins and outs of hockey card collecting. Learn what to purchase, trade and how to take care of valuable sports collectibles. Children will be challenged to organize their very own exhibition for everyone to see. Admission is free! For more information, please call 613-354-3027.


A Christmas Tree

L&A County Museum & Archives, 97 Thomas Street East, Napanee
December 13th, 6 - 8 pm
Admission: FREE

The 3rd annual "A Christmas Tree" event will be sure to get you in the spirit on December 13th...

On December 13th, a very special evening is planned for you and your family at the Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives in Napanee. The third annual “A Christmas Tree” evening features trees decorated for the season. Bring the kids to meet Father Christmas and see reindeer in the courtyard. Enjoy a cup of Christmas cheer and other seasonal goodies and stay awhile to enjoy the festive music. Admission is free. For more information about 'A Christmas Tree' and a wide array of programming happening at the L&A County Museum & Archives, please visit


Twas the Night Before Christmas

L&A County Museum & Archives, 97 Thomas Street East, Napanee
December 17th, 2 pm

See a holiday classic re-told... with a fun new twist on December 17th at the Museum.

Don't miss this family-friendly holiday event at the Museum. DuffleBag Theatre brings the classic Twas the Night Before Christmas to life in their signature fun-filled and humorous fashion, using audience members as the stars. With their improvisation, you could say they don’t exactly go by the book! The audience will be enchanted by the clever stagecraft, and thrilled to watch their peers included in the company's performance, which is well-supported by DuffleBag's witty narration.

For more information, please call 613-354-3027.






The story of the settlement and historical development of Lennox & Addington County is highlighted in a number of themed exhibits displayed within the old County Gaol.  Artifacts from the textile, furniture, domestic arts, tools and equipment collections of the Museum & Archives are showcased on a changing basis.  Occasional guest exhibitions are also presented.

Arresting Images

Travelling Exhibit from the OPP Museum

Opens: June 21, 2016
Closes: December 8, 2016

This summer, the Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives will be overrun with criminals of all sorts. But don’t worry, the museum isn’t being converted back into the County jail, and the police need not be called. It is all part of an exciting travelling exhibit courtesy the OPP Museum.

'Arresting Images' is an exhibit that features 100 historic mug shots from The OPP Museum’s permanent collection, dating from 1886 to 1908. The exhibition provides a rare opportunity for the public to view these historical photographic portraits collected in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The collection was assembled by the Niagara Falls “Ontario Police” - precursors of today’s Ontario Provincial Police.

Arresting Images highlights historical themes and social circumstances of the period addressing the subjects of crime and law enforcement as well as the emerging use of photographic portraits as a police identification tool. Represented in the collection are pickpockets, confidence men, escaped fugitives, shoplifters, horse thieves, burglars, safe blowers and others. These images are compelling, fascinating and thought-provoking.

In addition, visitors to the museum throughout the summer will have the opportunity to have their own mug shots taken, no crime required. This light-hearted interactive display includes an original ‘County Jail’ cell that has been converted to a 'persons of interest' line-up wall. Complete with height markers and crime-boards, visitors can take selfies - or #cellfies - within the cell that can be shared on social media. Select visitor photos will also be displayed at the museum in much the same way as the real criminal mug shots found in the 'Arresting Images' exhibit.

Arresting Images is The OPP Museum’s inaugural travelling exhibition. Initially launched in 2009, it received an Award of Excellence from the Ontario Museum Association for its innovative approach, exhibition design and curatorial quality. The exhibit will be showcased at the L&A County Museum & Archives until December 8th.

Local Historical Context of the ‘Arresting Images’ Exhibit:
The building that houses the Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives was once the County Gaol (jail). When Lennox & Addington separated from Frontenac in 1863 and Napanee was officially designated the County Town, a new courthouse and gaol were needed to properly fulfill their legislative duties. The gaol, built in 1864, operated until the Quinte Regional Detention Centre opened in 1971. The building continued to serve as the Napanee Town Police lockup until 1974. At that time, it was retrofitted for museum purposes from 1974-1976 and the Museum & Archives officially opened in their new space on October 6, 1976. the ‘Arresting Images’ serves as an ode to the building’s past and recognizes the museum’s 40th anniversary milestone.



Museum acquisitions on Display

Be sure to check out this ever-changing display of fascinating items recently acquired by the Museum & Archives. Currently highlighted artefacts on display include:

- Vintage Toys,
- Crazy Patch Quilts,
- Parlour Lamp,
- World War 1 Saddlery Tool Kit,
- Irwin Thompson Violin,
- Woolen Quilt and Coverlet, and
- The Robinson Company, Ltd.

For more information please contact the museum at 613-354-3027.


“Sir John A. Comes to Town”

The 'Sir John A. Comes to Town' exhibit is found within the middle gallery and arcade of the original Museum & Archives building that served as the County Gaol from 1864 - 1971. The display depicts the early years of Lennox & Addington County and Sir John A. Macdonald’s prominent role within the community. The impressive space details a timeline of activities undertaken by Canada’s first Prime Minister, complete with a number of photographs, as well as several silhouette displays of Macdonald, Allan Macpherson and others. A number of the silhouettes are reproduced from negatives taken by Stephen Benson during the 1860’s that are found in the County’s archives collection. Period costumes are also on display, including a dress worn by the Mary Macpherson, Allan’s wife. The costumes are curated by Diane Gallinger of Jordan Heritage Consulting.

"Confederation Era Entrepreneurs"

By the 1860’s, the population of the County had grown to allow Lennox and Addington to become independent and a new Court House and jail were built in the mill reserve. Napanee, at the head of the falls, became the County Town. John Stevenson, Napanee’s Reeve, was also the first County Warden.  Confederation, the forging together of the provinces of British North America, passed almost unnoticed in the local press. The County’s First Warden became the first Speaker of the new Ontario Legislature. In the post Confederation era, Italianate styled houses began to dominate Napanee architecture. William Miller, an East Ward merchant, built a new Italianate styled house near the Court House.  Proximity to the Court House and the railway station made East Street a desirable area.

Inside the houses were well furnished.  In 1868 when young William T. Gibbard joined his father, John, in the business, elaborate carved sideboards became a defining product of Gibbard and Sons. 

William Miller’s carved game sideboard and Renaissance Revival Gibbard bedroom suite are on display in the Gibbard gallery.


"The Horse and Buggy Age"

The years after Confederation to the Great War which erupted in 1914, were the decades when the “Horse and Buggy Age” was at its height. Each farm family possessed one or two light carriages of which the buggy was the most important, and the democrat, a rig with two or three benches, was almost as important. Although the blacksmith remained essential in rural communities, the small foundries and factories strung along the County’s rivers began to build versions of the most popular new inventions.

It was also a great wheat period and a time of hearty work in the fields.  The pace of farming quickened with improvements in farm machinery. New foundries, mills and manufacturing plants were built taking advantage of water power sites along the Napanee River.  D.B. Stickney’s Newburgh foundry built reapers and Joseph Connolly in Yarker produced a variety of ploughs. The Benjamin Wheel Manufacturing Company in Yarker produced rims and spokes for wagon and buggy wheels.

A Connolly democrat, a C.H. Finkle cutter and a Stickney reaper are featured in the Horse and Buggy Age.



The Lennox and Addington County Museum is the home of the collections of the Lennox and Addington Historical Society, founded in 1907. Artifacts are selected for their significance to the story of the county and its peoples from prehistoric times to the first tire produced at the Goodyear plant in 1990 and beyond. The rich, local history collection includes prehistoric items, furniture, textiles, clothing and accessories, toys, glass, ceramics, transportation artifacts, advertising ephemera, tools and equipment, household collectables and much, much more.

The artifact inventory (estimated to be 10,000 items) is entered into an automated database.

Lennox and Addington's prehistoric origins from 7,000 B.C. to the arrival of European explorers are documented. The collection includes projectile points, axes, gouges and other tools.

The first permanent European settlement of southern Lennox and Addington occurred at the end of the 18th century. Americans who took the side of the King were displaced at the end of the American Revolution and were relocated to the Bay of Quinte. A colourful display made possible by the Toronto Branch, United Empire Loyalist Association, recreates the uniforms worn by the Royal Provincials, a militia corps raised to fight alongside the British Regulars.

A pair of pastel portraits circa 1812, an 1820's Empire desk, 1840 communion set and 1850 handwoven shawl, locally crafted chairs are among the artifacts which evoke the lives of the 'late Loyalists', the Irish and other settlers who came to Lennox and Addington.

John Gibbard, cabinetmaker, leased a mill on the canal, Napanee, in 1860. On display is a 'fish and fowl' sideboard (1872) and Renaissance Revival/East Lake style bedroom set (1878) produced by Gibbard and Son.

A generous sampling of imported mid to late nineteenth century wares reflect the taste and economic status of various families in Lennox and Addington. Notable pieces include a Podmore and Walker soup tureen with bud finial, an 1844 tea service and a pair of 1878 Bristol vases.

Also in the collection are archaeological finds from the Herring Glass factory which operated in Napanee from 1881 to 1883 producing window glass. Other whimsical items made at the factory are on display.

Products of local nineteenth and early twentieth century entrepreneurs are evidence of the needs of the rural community. Among the products on view are a Herring fanning mill and cider press, an Ezra Pringle cutter, Daly Tea Company shipping boxes, Wartman Pumps, a J.C. Connolly democrat, and a Boyle and Son model cheese vat. The stitching machines, polishers and a miscellany of tools used in the Keech Harness Shop in Enterprise from 1870-1970 are also on display during the summer months.

John Stevenson, the first warden of the County of Lennox and Addington, manufactured square grand and upright pianos, two of which are in the Museums collection.

Changing displays reflect the role that citizens of Lennox and Addington played in various conflicts. A special item from the Second World War is the bell from the flower-class corvette, HMCS Napanee.

Our reference library can be searched using the County’s library catalogue:




The Archives provides people with a window to the past. The Archives collects papers, records, photographs, oral history and other documentary sources which help the researcher to discover and interpret the history of the county and the stories of the people of the county. The Reading Room is part of the Museum and Archives complex. The Archives collection includes municipal records.

Genealogical Research Collections

Genealogical Resources contain published and unpublished genealogies, published genealogical reference works, micrographic sources, card indices and family files. The collection includes the census for our county (1851-1911) and a microfilmed copy of the census. Family files are the research notes created by volunteers or outside researchers. On site researchers may also access and other online databases.

Historical Collections

The Archives has municipal papers from the County of Lennox and Addington, the old Town of Napanee, villages of Newburgh and Bath, and townships within the County. The Archives also has a wide collection of papers of local residents and organizations, documenting the 19th and 20th centuries in Lennox and Addington. A historical library of new and older books complements the archives. The Museum  is the custodian of the Napanee Standard, Napanee Express, Napanee Beaver, The Heritage and other local newspapers. The Archives has over 700 reels of microfilm.

Photograph Collections

There are over 10,000 original images in the collections of the Lennox and Addington Historical Society. 

Business Records Index: [ ... ]
Celia File Fonds: [Part 1] [Part 2]

Collection Miscellany Old Index:    
[Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3]
Harry Babcock Fonds Index:
[Part 1]
[Part 2]
LAHS Early Collection Index:  [Part 1]
[Part 2]
Maps, Posters, Handbills:  [Part 1]
[Part 2]
Misc Small Groups Index:   [Part 1]
 [Part 2]
Municipal Records Index: [Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3]
Photo Index v1:
[Part 1]
[Part 2]
[Part 3]
[Part 4]
Photo Index v2:
[ ... ]
Photo Index v3 N2932 - N3192:
[ ... ]
Private Papers Index:
[Part 1]
 [Part 2]
Secondary Source Records Index:
[ ... ]
Sheet Music Collection Index:
[Part 1]
[Part 2]
The Church Papers Index:
[Part 1]
[Part 2]
Walters - Wagar Collection Index: [Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3] [Part 4]
Walters - Wagar Collection Index: [Part 5] [Part 6]    

Archives Fee Schedule

Reading Room Rules




Investigating one's family tree can be rewarding experience. The archives assists people who enjoy the pastime of researching their family's genealogy.

Museum & Archives staff can assist with some starting points into conducting your search. Patrons may contact the Museum and Archives who provide in-house and distance genealogical research assistance.

Also, as there is so much information available electronically, most patrons begin their search on the Internet, accessing any number of the links provided below.





The Archives contains an extensive microfilm collection that contains a wide-range of local and regional topics.

Haldimand Papers – Loyalist Volumes – INDEX – Vol. 105, 166, 167, 168 MS 21: [1776-1789] (LAC# C-1475)
Loyalist Registers: [1803-1840] (AO MS # 4029)
Audit Office, London, England – Loyalist Claims Index: [1776-1831] (LAC # C-9821)

Upper Canada Land Boards (1783-1794)

Orderly Books of Fort Henry, Kingston (Militia): [1838-1839]
Military Muster Rolls: [1838-1839]
Military Personnel and Officers: [1847-1902]

Crown Land Grants: [1783-1870]
Court of Quarter Sessions: 1800-1849 (Archives of Ontario)
Surrogate Court Records – Wills: 1803-1858 (Archives of Ontario)
Surrogate Court Index: 1865-1970

Kingston Gazette: 1810-1818
Kingston Chronicle: 1819-1831
Kingston Gazette and Chronicle1833-1845
Non-Ontario Newspapers1773-1930 (not complete)
British Whig and Weekly British Whig: 1835-1894; 1894-1922
Weekly Globe and Canada Farmer: 1883-1913
The Albion: 1854-1855
The Temperance Union: 1877
Zion Herald and Christian Advocate and Journal: 1826-1828
The Bantling: 1858-1859
Napanee Bee: 1850-1852
Addington Beaver: April 8, 1870
The Index: 1855-1858
The North American: 1862-1864
The Addington Reporter: Nov. 22, 1876
The Newburgh Reporter: Oct. 21, 1880
The Canada Casket: 1870-1881
Napanee Star: 1896-1902
Napanee Standard: 1855-1886
Napanee Express: 1862-1951
Napanee Post Express: 1951-1965
Deseronto Tribune: 1884-1905 (not complete)
Deseronto Post: 1948
Toronto Saturday Night: 1898-1899
Napanee Beaver: 1870-1896; 1897; 1902-2009
Mid—County Bantam: 1985-1987 (Missing); 1988-1992
Tweed News: 1888-2003 (Not complete)
Hallowell Free Press: 1830-1834
The Picton Gazette: 1860-1873
Belleville Intelligencer: 1862-1873
Tamworth News: 1886-1887
Napanee Guide: 1989-2001

Marriage and Baptism Registers at the Archives of Ontario: 1858-1869; 1853-1916
County Marriage Registers: 1862-1869
Ebenezer Lutheran Church: 1791-1850
St. Anthony of Padua Roman Catholic Church, Centreville: 1846-1902
Trinity United Church, Napanee: 1897-1966
Religious Society of Friends (Quaker Archives) MS 303
Methodist Church Records, assorted: [1875-1967]
Presbyterian Church Records, assorted: [1903-1929]

(contain minutes, correspondence and some Tweedsmuir histories)

Camden East
Amherst Island
Bay View
Hay Bay
Maple Leaf
Maple Ridge
Mill Creek (Odessa)
Mount Pleasant Pioneers
Victoria II
Violet (Swizterville)
East Hastings

William Canniff Papers – Reel 2 and 3: Series G1-G6, M (AO MS # 768)
Napanee Industries

Midland District Council: 1842-1849
United Counties of Frontenac, Lennox and Addington: 1850-1864
Provisional Council, Lennox and Addington: 1863-1865
Minutes and By-laws of the Town of Napanee: 1865-1871
Galley Sheets, History of Flinton, 1938
Township of Adolphustown: 1850-1960
Township of Camden: 1895-1965 (Archives of Ontario)
Township of Ernestown: 1850-1969 (Archives of Ontario)
Township of North Fredericksburgh: 1924-1966 (Archives of Ontario)
Town of Amherst Island
Township of Denbigh, Abinger, Ashby
Township of North Fredericksburgh
Municipal Papers and Records
County of Lennox and Addington Board of Education
County of Lennox and Addington
Township of Camden
Township of Kaladar, Anglessa, Effingham
Town of Napanee
Township of Richmond
Township of Sheffield
Township of South Fredericksburgh

Index to Births and Stillbirths (MS 931)
Index to Marriages (MS 934)
Index to Deaths (MS 937)
Index to Birth, Marriages and Deaths (MS 938)
Index to Births and Stillbirths (MS 939)
Index to Marriages (MS 941)
Index to Deaths (MS 942)
Index to Ontario Overseas Deaths (MS 944)
Index to Marriage License book (MS 945)
Index to Delayed Registration of Births (MS 946)

William Bell fonds
Benson Family fonds
Thomas Willet Casey fonds
Roblin Family fonds
John Stevenson fonds
Napanee Municipal Council
Lennox and Addington Historical Society
Small Collections and Individual Items
Ledgers, Accounts of General Merchandising
Collection of Miscellany
Collection of Secondary Sources
Collection of Church records
Miscellaneous Small Record Groups (U1-10)
Celia File fonds
Harry Babcock fonds
Walters-Wagar fonds

Ontario as Upper Canada – Aggregate Stats: 1800-1839 (LAC # H1175) and 1840-1866 (LAC # H1176)
1842 Census (Frontenac Co.; Kingston)
1851 Census (Hastings Co.; Frontenac Co.; Addington Co.; Lennox Co.; Prince Edward
Co.; Brant Co.)
1861 Census (Lennox and Addington Co.; Prince Edward Co.; Frontenac Co.; Hastings
Co.; City of Kingston)
1871 Census (Lennox and Addington Co.; Prince Edward Co.)
1881 Census (Lennox and Addington Co.; Prince Edward Co.; Frontenac Co.; Hastings
Co.; City of Kingston; Renfrew Co.)
1891 Census (Lennox and Addington Co.; Prince Edward Co.; Frontenac Co.; Hastings
Co.; City of Kingston; Leeds Co.; Institutions in Kingston)
1901 Census (Lennox and Addington Co.; Frontenac Co.; Hastings Co.; City of
Kingston; Essex Co.; Glengarry Co.)
1911 Census (Lennox and Addington Co.; City of Kingston; Leeds Co.; Hastings Co; Lambton Co; Prescott; Prince Edward Co.; Renfrew Co.)

County of Lennox and Addington Land Abstract Books [1780’s – 1970’s]


Step back in time in the comfort of your own home with Lennox & Addington E-History.

The project showcases objects in museum collections in Lennox & Addington County. Invitations were extended to all museums in Lennox & Addington to share their collections through Lennox & Addington’s  E-History.  Each contribution from a participating museum is credited. All other articles highlight the collections at the Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives.

Museums, as depositories of material culture, collect artifacts made and used by people.  Museum curators interpret artifacts to reveal the people that used them.  Objects used in every day human activities define individuals and communities and influenced local, regional and world events.

Lennox & Addington’s E-History is a starting point for another look at Lennox & Addington’s historical story.   Based on the premise that objects relating to a geographic area can reveal the historical story of that area,  Lennox & Addington’s E-History discusses each object in its historical context and provides links to details of the object, as well as, photographic and written sources.  Object based history is a starting-point for a multi-disciplinary study of local history that interweaves with regional and national history.  This approach gives us a greater appreciation of the role of material objects in human activity, the people who used them, the communities, customs and traditions they evolved.

The Lennox & Addington E-History Project was undertaken with generous financial support from the Government of Ontario, Ministry of Culture, Museums and Technology Fund, and the County of Lennox & Addington.

Lennox & Addington E-History Project




For Teachers

School Brochure

Spirit Bear

Resources to weave our local story into your curriculum units

Archival pictures from the holdings of the Lennox & Addington County Archives and a selection of objects at the Lennox & Addington County Museum are provided in digital format to complement Social Studies and History units of the Elementary and Secondary Ontario Curriculum. Expanded resources may be accessed on the Lennox & Addington County Museum's E-History Project.

Museums, as depositories of material culture, collect artifacts made and used by people. These artifacts can be interpreted to reveal the people that used them. Objects used in every day human activities define individuals and communities and influence local, regional and world events.

Object based history is a starting-point for a multi-disciplinary study of local history that interweaves with regional and national history. This approach gives us a greater appreciation of the role of material objects in human activity, the people who used them, the communities, customs and traditions they evolved.

Teacher Resources




History Tour


First settled by United Empire Loyalists and later by American and European pioneers, Lennox & Addington County is alive with reminders of a rich past. The family names of the earliest settlers endure and hundreds of grand Victorian homes and farmsteads still stand as symbols of an era of hard work and bustling growth.

In addition to visiting the Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives, we invite you to tour our great County, and learn about the history that helped shape our communities into what they are today.




Lennox & Addington County
Museum & Archives

97 Thomas Steet East, Napanee

The Lennox & Addington County Museum and Archives preserves the ongoing story of the Lennox and Addington from prehistoric times to the present day. Built in 1864, the Museum was the county jail until 1971. In 2014 the facility completed a major renovation and expansion that greatly enhances the experience for visiting patrons. A new addition, includes a large research room and archival storage, as well as enhanced display areas.



Allan Macpherson House & Park

Tuesday's and Thursday's, 10am-5pm
until September 1, 2016
Closed Holidays

180 Elizabeth Street, Napanee


Built before 1830, the Allan Macpherson House remains a fine example of a late phase of Georgian architecture. It was constructed by Allan Macpherson, who in approximately 1812, had leased the mills on the opposite side of the Napanee River. His new dwelling was near his other principal business enterprise, a general store on Dundas Street. Napanee's first postmaster and an active magistrate, Mr. Macpherson was a long standing citizen of the community. In 1849 he moved to Kingston and his house was taken over by his son Donald, where it remained in the family until 1896. Among the distinguished guests were Bishop John Strachan and Sir John A MacDonald.

macphersonAdmission $3
Price of admission also grants visitors access the the Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives, located at 97 Thomas Street East in Napanee.

Babcock Mill

100 Bridge Street, Odessa

Built in 1856 this historic mill is a must see when visiting Odessa. The mill combined woolen factory, grist, planning and saw milling operations. It has been restored as a fully operational water-powered mill and park site.


Bath Museum of Loyalist Township

434 Main Street, Bath

Construction of the Old Town Hall was completed in 1861.  The Tuscan Portico is patterned after Roman buildings with civic or judicial functions. The building was known as the Bath Town Hall until 1970.  It was completely restored in the early 1980's and is a designated historical property under the Heritage Act. The Building is now owned and operated by the Fairfield-Gutzeit Society is the home of the Bath Museum of Loyalist Township.  The museum features United Empire Loyalist, World War 1 and World War 2 memorabilia and Native artifacts dating back to the 1600's.


Cloyne Pioneer Museum

14238 Highway 41, Cloyne

As you plan your vacation in the County of Lennox and Addington be sure to include a visit to the Pioneer Museum in Cloyne. Operated by the Cloyne and District Historical Society, the Museum is home to over 1,000 artifacts that illustrate the history of the area, from its beginnings in the lumbering industry of the 1850's, through the ups and downs of the mining booms, to the long-held importance of tourism. Also included in the collection are clothing and household items from pioneer families, as well as books, photos, and documents that demonstrate their way of life.

A growing collection of Bon Echo artifacts, including a 1920 sketch by Merrill Denison, will fascinate the many Lake Mazinaw /Bon Echo Inn fans out there. The reconstruction of a section of the O'Donnell Road schoolhouse, dating from the 1850's, is equally fascinating. The Museum collection grows and changes almost daily, so even if you have visited before, it's well worth coming back.




Fairfield-Gutzeit House

341 Main Street, Bath

William and Benjamin Fairfield purchased Lot 11, Con 1 in Ernestown from the original Loyalist grantee, George McGinnis, in 1793. They built what is now known as the Fairfield-Gutzeit House in 1796. Both brothers were prominent in the community, serving as members of the Legislative Assembly. William was a magistrate and a commissioner of roads, and Benjamin was a member of the Court of Quarter Session and a businessman with special interests in shipping. 

The Fairfield-Gutzeit is a Georgian Style home; one of the first dwellings built in Ontario on the shores of Lake Ontario in the historic village of Bath. The campus consists of a large waterfront property that is owned and cared for by the charitable non-profit Fairfield/Gutzeit Society. This beautiful example of early Canada is fully furnished in the Victorian era with the gardens being cared for by the Bath Gardening Club. Many cultural and historic programs are offered for all age groups by the Society in conjunction with the Royal Ontario Museum. The main house is open for tours from the middle of June until Labour Day.



Fairfield House

4574 Loyalist Parkway, Amherstview

Loyalist William Fairfield settled in Lennox & Addington in 1784 and built the Fairfield House in 1793 to strongly reflect his New England background.  In 1959, after six generations of family occupancy, the Fairfield House became the property of the Province of Ontario, which entrusted it to the St. Lawrence Parks Commission.  The building is one of several wood frame houses that remain in L&A from the Loyalist era. In 2000, the Fairfield House was named by the Canada Royal Architectural Institute to be one of the 250 best examples of Canadian Architecture over the last 1,000 years.




Neilson Store & Cultural Centre

5220 Front Road, Stella, Amherst Island

Head to beautiful Amherst Island and learn about the history of the area at the Neilson Store & Cultural Centre.

United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre & Park

54 Park Road, Adolphustown

The United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre & Park was established in 1956 to sustain the work of a group of community volunteers led my Adelaide Mowbray McLaughlin. Mrs. McLaughlin used her influence as the wife of Samuel McLaughlin, the major automobile manufacturer in Canada and later, President of General Motors Canada, to convince the Province to create a lasting memorial to the Loyalist founders of Ontario. Today the 72-acre heritage property, which includes an original Loyalist landing site, refugee camp site, and burial ground, is owned by the United Empire Loyalists’ Association of Canada, Bay of Quinte Branch, and operated by a volunteer-run registered charity, the U.E.L. Heritage Centre & Park. The site, Greater Napanee’s largest tourism attraction, also includes a recreational campground, a beach and a picnic area. Ideally situated on Adolphus Reach of the Bay of Quinte, it is perfect for simple family vacations or large family reunions.




Old Hay Bay Church

2365 South Shore Road, Adolphustown

This is the oldest Methodist building in Canada and the second oldest church in Ontario. Built in 1792 on land donated by Paul Huff, Hay Bay Church was the first meeting house for Loyalists in Ontario. In addition to weddings and special parties, the restored church is host to an annual service on the fourth Sunday of August. Hay Bay Church is recognized as a national Canadian historic site. It is located on the south side of Hay Bay off the Loyalist Parkway (Highway 33) a few kilometres from the Glenora Ferry.



Lafarge War of 1812 Discovery Centre

341 Main Street, Bath

Experience early 19th Century Bath on the grounds of the 1796 Fairfield-Gutzeit House. The Lafarge War of 1812 Discovery Centre tells the story of early life in Ernestown (present-day Bath) and the American attack on the Village and the flight of the HMS Royal George.




Macpherson House

Allan Macpherson House and Park

Tuesday's and Thursday's, 10am-5pm
until September 1, 2016
Closed Holidays
180 Elizabeth Street, Napanee


In 2014, Lennox & Addington County began operation of the storied Allan Macpherson House and Park, one of Lennox & Addington County's finest examples of early 19th century architecture.

Built on the banks of the Napanee River in 1826, it was the first private home north of the river. It was the residence of Allan Macpherson, one of the most entrepreneurial and civic-minded citizens of early Lennox & Addington County. With a finger in many pies, Macpherson operated grist and saw mills, a distillery and a general store. He was also a post master, magistrate, Major of the Lennox Militia, land agent, pioneer of the printing press, builder of schools and establisher of the Agricultural Society. He was involved in building the toll road and rail line and helped several denominations secure land to build churches. Among the distinguished guests at the Macpherson residence were Bishop John Strachan and Sir John A. MacDonald.

True to its roots, the Macpherson House has been restored to its 1830’s splendor both inside and out. Events and activities will take place at the house during the summer months and for special events throughout the year.

For more information please visit



Admission $3
Price of admission also grants visitors access the the Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives, located at 97 Thomas Street East in Napanee.

Tuesday's and Thursday's, 10am-5pm
until September 1, 2016
Closed Holidays

Colourful Holiday Booklets

Join us for another fun Museum Kids installment and learn about print making and book binding with Artist Paula Brooks. Paula will guide you through some simple steps to create your own colouring booklet using an assortment of pre-made rubber stamps, story paper and thread. This will make a lovely keepsake or gift.

Artist Bio:

Paula Brooks studied design and business in college. For a long time, she thought that that she had to work in a big city, designing stores to be considered a success. That all changed when she was faced with life threatening health issues. She left the big city and a successful corporate career to pursue a life that helped me heal.  Paula owns a design company called PS Designs and runs a successful business Bark’n Up The Green Tree, a bakery that produces all holistic vegan, gluten and nut free dog treats. She also create hand-crafted Earth minded apparel, collar accessories and collars from up-cycled and re-purposed materials. Dogs have always been a part of my life, they helped me get healthier, by providing unconditional love and support. I’ve been sewing and baking as long as I can remember.

© 2016 L & A Tourism
County of Lennox & Addington
97 Thomas Street East
Napanee, ON K7R 4B9
T: 613.354.4883
F: 613.354.3112