The Allan Macpherson House & Park
180 Elizabeth Street, Napanee
Allan Macpherson, a half-cousin of Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada’s first Prime Minister, moved to Napanee in 1818 to operate the grist and saw mills at the falls. The flour produced at the Napanee Mills was a very fine quality, shipped to Montreal and England. In 1820, he secured the Postmaster’s appointment at Napanee and a few years later, built this gentry-inspired house north of the falls. For almost three decades, he was one of Lennox and Addington’s most civic minded and politically active entrepreneurs. In 1848, Allan Macpherson returned to Kingston, but the house remained in the family until 1896. In 1962, the Lennox and Addington Historical Society began a visionary labour of love to restore this home to its nineteenth century character.
From July 5th to September 1st the Macpherson House will be open for the 2016 summer season on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 am to 5 pm. Many special programs and events will take place during the summer. For a full list of programming, please click here.
Price of admission also grants visitors access the the Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives, located at 97 Thomas Street East in Napanee.