Lennox & Addington celebrates 150 years in 2014!
A lot has happened since the counties of Lennox (named after Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond) and Addington (named after Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth) merged to become a single entity.
First settled by United Empire Loyalists and later by American and European pioneers, Lennox & Addington County is alive with reminders of a rich past. The family names of the earliest settlers endure and hundreds of grand Victorian homes and farmsteads still stand as symbols of an era of hard work and bustling growth. Their survival and vitality is a testament to the vision of the founders.
In 2014 Lennox & Addington County will celebrate our successful past as we look ahead to a vibrant future. We invite you to join us in celebration.
Lennox & Addington 150th Celebration
Saturday, August 23, 2014, 6:30 pm
It was a great day for Lennox & Addington County on August 23rd, 2014. In addition to the re-opening of the Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives, there was a grand celebration like no other in the evening outside at the grounds of the Court House. The event was filled with thousands of proud residents and visitors from far and wide! The evening highlighted local musicians and internationally-known performers, headlined by Natalie MacMaster & Donnell Leahy: Masters of the Fiddle.
[DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM]
Be sure to visit our Facebook page for photos from the celebration.
Below are bios of each of the acts that performed during the evening.
Natalie MacMaster & Donnell Leahy:
Masters of the Fiddle
“The violin sings, but the fiddle dances.” It may be an old musician’s proverb, but it’s one that fittingly applies to the unique and contemporary style of master fiddler Donnell Leahy. Donnell’s wife and an expert on the bow-and-strings in her own right, award-winning musician Natalie MacMaster put on a must-see show with their 'Masters of the Fiddle' performances.
Cape Breton musician Natalie MacMaster began her fiddling career at 16 releasing her debut album Four on the Floor. Her musical venture now spans over three decades, completing 11 albums, performing thousands of shows and collaborating with a multitude of world renowned artists. The most recent album by MacMaster, Cape Breton Girl, has been self-described as a “straight-ahead, traditional record.” The album is filled with an invigorating collection of toe-tapping jigs, reels, and strathspeys that embodies her most cherished values, her family and home, tradition, and faith.
Donnell continues to dazzle: As leader of Leahy, the Lakefield, Ontario-based eight-piece family outfit that bears his surname, Donnell has helped Leahy achieve more than half-a-million copies in combined worldwide sales of their albums Leahy, Lakefield, In All Things and Live. This success propelled them onto the global stage in a highly-praised run as the opening act for Shania Twain’s Come On Over world tour, and earned them multiple Juno Awards – including Best New Group, Best Country Group and Best Instrumental Album.
For more information please visit www.nataliemacmaster.com.
Natalie MacMaster & Donnell Leahy:
Masters of the Fiddle
Circus Orange specializes in live performance cirque shows that combine circus arts with special effects. Circus Orange will be performing cirque acts such as Bungee, Silks and the Pyro Mobile. The Pyro Mobile features three aerialists that revolve around a mobile rig suspended from a crane. The performance is punctuated by special effects and pyrotechnics.
For more information please visit www.circusorange.com.
The Kim Pollard Band
Kim Pollard has been singing for many years in various venues between Ottawa and Toronto. Raised in Lennox & Addington County, Kim learned to sing in church at a young age. Her public career began in the 1980’s in a high school assembly; going on from this performance to win #1 Canadian Female Jazz Vocalist of the Year award. She is versatile musically, writes her own material and also performs cover tunes with a personalized touch.
Multi-talented Kim also writes and records for commercials and owns a business writing business and records personalized songs for special occasions. She has also been heard singing the American and Canadian national anthems in Toronto for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Kim Pollard Band performs regionally for clubs, dances, fundraisers etc. Whatever the venue, you can expect to hear the blues, jazz, ballads, spiritual – a plethora of good music and strong melodic vocal style.
The Kim Pollard Band
Longtime Lennox & Addington County resident David Archibald played his first guitar in Spain, and you can still find the warmth of the Andalusian sunshine in his music. His work on Great Lakes marine heritage Spirit of the Inland Sea has been featured at National and Provincial Parks as well as the Blyth Festival. He was invited to give a workshop on traditional music of the Great Lakes at the North American Folk Alliance Convention in Cleveland, Ohio.
He produced the first recording of pop star Avril Lavigne. His pop-music compositions have been recorded with RCA, and several of his compositions reside in the catalogues of ATV Music Group, Sunbury/Dunbar and Sony Music. David's music has been featured on CBC radio programmes such as The Vinyl Café, Morningside, Fresh Air, Ontario Morning, Radio Noon and more. He has toured extensively across Canada and the U.S. as well as Bermuda. He has performed at Yonge/Dundas Square, Nathan Philips Square, Harbourfront, Queen's Park and the Winter Garden in Toronto.
For more information visit www.davidarchibald.com.
Sam And Emma McNichols
Sam And Emma are brother and sister musicians from Lennox & Addington County who love to perform at live music venues. Together this duo have hours of music repertoire. Sam (piano, oboe, guitar, harmonica) and his sister Emma (vocals, piano, guitar) write, perform and record original songs, but are also known to rock the stage with covers of their musical influences.
Sam And Emma have been fortunate enough to share the stage with many known musicians such as Valdy, the Wilkinsons/Small Town Pistols, the Sleddogs, The Abrams Brothers and Chris Koster. Venues have included small private house parties, charitable events and large theatres and festivals throughout the region.
For more information please visit www.facebook.com/SamAndEmmaMcNichols.
Sam & Emma McNichols
Lennox & Addington County resident Dallas Daisy is a country music performer and songwriter. She has performed on many major jamborees throughout Ontario and has had airplay on many Canadian, American and European radio stations. Dallas has placed well in several singing competitions throughout Ontario, including first place in the Kingston Fall Fair singing competition and the Frontenac Old Time Music Championships. She has performed multiple times in Nashville at popular locations such as the Nashville Palace and on the General Jackson Showboat Show. She has also performed in Branson, Missouri on the Shotgun Red Variety Show and in Disneyland at Hollywood Studios, just to name a few.
For more information please visit www.myspace.com/dallasdaisyarney.
|To commemorate the 150th anniversary of Lennox & Addington County, the Museum & Archives has completed a major renovation designed to enhance the experience for visiting patrons. The expansion consists of a new addition featuring a large research room and archival storage, and enhanced display areas. The facility is now open from Monday to Saturday from 10 am - 5 pm.
For more information about the L&A County Museum & Archives click here.
The following features appeared in The Napanee Beaver and take a look at some interesting facts and people that have helped shaped Lennox & Addington County's successful past 150 years. Look for new articles in The Beaver on Thursdays throughout 2014.
A Look Back
The early years of Lennox & Addington County
As one breaks over the crest of Roblin’s Hill when approaching the Town of Greater Napanee along County Road 2 from the east, the stately County Court House with its crowning cupola rises proudly above the horizon. This impressive and important building, constructed in 1864 on a site at the head of Adelphi Street, has been the seat of government for Lennox and Addington since the County was incorporated as an independent municipality.
By 1863 the County of Lennox and Addington had finally met the population and stringent legislative requirements to petition the Governor-In-Council for separation from Frontenac County with whom they had been united since 1841. A Provisional Council comprised of the Reeves and Deputy Reeves of Lennox and Addington’s local municipalities began meeting in September 1863 at Napanee to fulfill the conditions for the small new county with solid ambitions.
Over the ensuing twelve months of transition the Provisional Council met regularly to settle such matters as the appointment of a Clerk and Treasurer; the creation of a seal for the municipal corporation; the issuing of debentures; the sale of toll gates on macadamized roads and the acceptance of John Forin’s tender of $33,146 for the construction of the Court House and Jail on land donated by M.P.P. Richard Cartwright.
By Proclamation on September 30, 1864, all conditions had been met, including payment of $61,500 to Frontenac County as settlement for the dissolution of the united counties. Lennox and Addington was now able to begin operating as an independent municipality.
In January 1865 County Council elected John Stevenson, Reeve of the Town of Napanee and former Warden of the Provisional Council, as Lennox and Addington’s first Warden. Every year since a Warden has been elected by County Councillors from amongst their members. A total of 137 men and one woman, Lorraine Berger in 1993, have served as Lennox and Addington County Warden over the past 150 years. Eight of the men including current Warden Gord Schermerhorn have served multiple one-year terms.
A succession of township reeves and deputy reeves, under the leadership of the County Warden have guided the progress of the County since its formative years. Until 1998, the system of municipal government remained largely unchanged, although directly elected County Commissioners replaced the reeves and deputy reeves for a ten-year period from 1896-1906. Then in 1998, Provincial Government directives transformed the County’s service responsibilities and reduced the County’s thirteen local municipalities to four, Loyalist, Greater Napanee, Stone Mills and Addington Highlands. County Council in turn was reduced from twenty four Councillors to eight.
A review of the minutes of County Council meetings since 1864 provides insight into the diverse challenges that have confronted Lennox and Addington’s municipal leaders as they endeavoured to serve their fellow citizens. Some topics such as fiscal stewardship, roads and bridges, as well as public health and wellbeing transcend all 150 years. Today Lennox and Addington provides a broad range of services for its residents, many within a highly regulated framework determined by the Provincial Government.
150 years of leadership in one place is a remarkable achievement. Not least among the initiatives of the last century was a major renovation of the County Court House in 1993, ensuring its functionality for the millennium. The County Court House renovation was a tribute to the County’s founding fathers who strove to take charge of their own lives and maintain order and control by forming an independent county.
2014 marks Lennox and Addington’s sesquicentennial and provides an occasion to highlight and commemorate the history of our County. The County will celebrate its 150th anniversary on August 23rd with gala events on the Court House grounds and the official reopening of the expanded Museum and Archives. County Council’s commitment to complete this $5 million capital project in recognition of Lennox and Addington’s sesquicentennial will ensure that the heritage of our County community will be preserved for the benefit of future generations.
Warden of Lennox and Addington County, 1865
In the old town of Napanee, on the ridge of land in the west, known locally as Piety Hill, stands the former home of John Stevenson, first County Warden of Lennox and Addington. Prior to his term as County Warden Stevenson had served as a councillor in Richmond Township in 1856,Reeve of Napanee since 1860 and Warden of the Provisional Council from 1863-1864.
An 1861 pen picture of Napanee printed in the Napanee Standard remarked on the “elegant mansion of the town reeve, John Stevenson, Esq., one of the wealthiest of our citizens ”, standing amidst dark pines on the rising ground. Built in the Italianate style, his solid, substantial brick home reflected achievement, a coming of age for successful men of business.
Although a Presbyterian, his family roots were English Quakers immigrants who settled in William Penn’s colony on the Atlantic seaboard. His branch of the family moved to New York State and then to Leeds, Upper Canada, where John received formal education in Brockville. After a year teaching school near Maitland, he came to Bath in 1831 to work in the general store of Henry Lasher. When the partnership he formed with Henry’s son, John, was dissolved in 1848, Stevenson moved to Newburgh to open his own store. He employed John D. Ham, whom he would later contest for the Wardenship of the County, as managing clerk and then formed another partnership. In 1850, Ham bought out Stevenson’s interests and Stevenson located to Napanee.
When Stevenson arrived in the growing hamlet of Napanee, he became a driving force in the development of the village. In 1854, Napanee was incorporated as a village. Stevenson became Reeve two years later. At various times, he operated a flourmill, foundry, axe shop and brush shop in Napanee, employing a large workforce. He also made a contract with the Kingston Penitentiary to employ convict labour to make furniture and in one of his last business ventures built square grand and upright pianos in Kingston.
Throughout the 1850s and 1860s, he conducted a lucrative loan, mortgage, and real estate business in the Napanee area. He was also president of the Richmond Road Company, which managed a toll-road running from Napanee to Clareview. In 1854, Stevenson and David Roblin secured a contract to build the stone piers of the Grand Trunk Railway bridge across the Napanee River.
Stevenson, however, acquired most of his wealth from lumbering interests. In the early 1850s he obtained extensive timber limits in Hinchinbrooke Township, Frontenac County, and erected sawmills at Petworth and Napanee. In 1853 he and such lumbermen as Hugo B. Rathbun from Deseronto and David Roblin, Napanee, formed the Napanee and Salmon River Navigation Company to build slides to floating lumber to the Bay of Quinte. Taking advantage of the Reciprocity Treaty with the United States, he had a fleet of four schooners to carry lumber sawn at local mills to his agents in Oswego, New York. The Schooner John Stevenson was built and launched at the foot of East Street in 1863.
Politically, Stevenson was adept at maneuvering to support his business ventures. Although he had backed a fellow Reformer, David Roblin in the general election of 1854, three years later, he broke with Roblin over a business dispute. In 1861, he persuaded county Reform interests to support Augustus Hooper, an Addington man closely associated with the business interest of Newburgh, and defeated Roblin.
The 1863 campaign which followed was pivotal to the future of the County of Lennox and Addington. Stevenson had become the champion of the campaign to separate Lennox and Addington from Frontenac County and make Napanee the county seat; Hooper, however, supported Newburgh’s claim to the seat. Stevenson threw his support behind Hooper’s opponent, the “independent” Richard John Cartwright, on the condition that the latter maintain his independent status until the county town issue was settled. Shortly after Parliament met, Stevenson received a note from Billa Flint, a fellow lumberman [after whom Flinton is named] in the Legislative Council, assuring him that “Mr. Cartwright and myself called on Atty Gen this forenoon, and after a friendly conference, we got your matter of [the] County Town arranged.” In the proclamation issued that day, Lennox and Addington was formally separated from Frontenac County, Napanee designated the county seat, and Stevenson named Provisional Warden.
In the first provincial and federal elections held in Ontario in August 1867, Stevenson and Cartwright ran together. Cartwright was elected the member for Lennox to the House of Commons and Stevenson carried the provincial seat.
Stevenson was also elected first speaker of the Ontario Assembly. His term as speaker from 1867 to 1871 has been described as one of “fair and impartial rulings”. The speakership was to be Stevenson’s last public office.
Stevenson died April 1, 1884 at his home on Piety Hill. He is buried in Riverside Cemetery.
Augustus F.G. Hooper
Member of the Legislative Assembly of Canada, 1861 to 1863
Warden of Lennox and Addington, 1866
Augustus Hooper, a well-known merchant and politician, was born in Devonshire, England in 1815 and came to Canada in 1819. He was educated at the public school and seminary of the City of Quebec and, when he grew up, was engaged for a number of years in a lumbering firm. In 1843 he set out for Canada West and established himself in mercantile business at the village of Newburgh in partnership with his brother Douglas, under the firm name of A. & D. Hooper.
In about 1850 he built the old stone Hooper residence at Camden East and branched out in the lumbering business, which he followed until his death.
In 1860 Hooper was elected Warden of the then United Counties of Frontenac, Lennox and Addington. In 1861 he also served one term as representative for the area for the old Parliament of Canada, and was in turn defeated by Sir Richard Cartwright in 1863. Being an Addington man and closely associated with the business interests of Newburgh, he quite naturally upheld the claims of that village for the county seat, while Cartwright, who was deeply interested in Napanee, supported the latter village. The local question of the separation of the counties and the choice of the county town overshadowed all other issues and turned the scale in Cartwright's favour.
Hooper was for several years reeve of the township of Camden and in 1866 was proclaimed the second warden of the County of Lennox and Addington. Augustus Hooper died on November 3Oth, 1866, one day before his term of office expired.
Judge William H. Wilkison
First County Crown Attorney
On April 17, 1903, flags on the County Court House, Post Office and Town Hall flew at half mast, in respect to the sudden death of Judge William Henry Wilkison.
William Henry Wilkison was the son of William Wilkison of Kingston, formerly Belfast, Ireland. Born in Kingston in 1836, he was educated at the old Grammar School. In 1861, he was called to the bar. He established his practice in Napanee the same year.
In 1863, John Beverly Jones, a young law clerk arrived from Brockville to work with Wilkison. Beverly Jones was a cousin of Reverend J.J. Bogert, rector at St. Mary Magdalene’s, Napanee. It was likely through his support that Beverly Jones obtained his first professional post with Wilkison. Wilkison was also an active member of St. Mary Magdalene’s, then located on the Camden Road near the railway tracks, where the churchyard remains.
Wilkison paid Beverly Jones a monthly salary of $20. During the year Beverly Jones spent in Napanee, he kept a small diary noting his daily activities, witnessing mortgages, deeds, setting up accounts, arranging leases and drawing claims. His evenings were often spent at the office, reading Smith’s Mercantile Law or Williams on Real Property. Other times, however, were spent more leisurely, playing games of cricket, trotting a bay horse, swimming at Hooper’s wharf, eating oysters with Mr. Esson at the Yates Hotel, along with frequent walks and outings. “Chamberlain and I walked to the other side of the river and I saw the water falling over the dam, was very pretty”, he penned April 19.
Beverly Jones was left in charge of the office when Wilkison was in Kingston attending County Court or meeting with Richard J. Cartwright, a Kingston developer and founding director of the Commercial Bank of Canada. Cartwright sometimes took the train to Napanee and met with Wilkison at the office to talk over their business affairs. The acquisition, renting, and mortgaging of land in the Kingston and Napanee areas was Cartwright’s main occupation outside of his political career.
1863 was an exciting time to be in Napanee. Debate over the selection of a County Town had been ongoing for some time. Tamworth, Newburgh and Bath all vied for the honour, with the press joining the debate. On April 18, Jones went to a meeting of reeves to settle the County Town selection, recording that the vote for Napanee was 9 to 6 against.
The 1863 campaign was pivotal to the future of the County of Lennox and Addington. Richard Cartwright and Napanee businessman John Stevenson championed Lennox and Addington’s bid to separate from Frontenac and secure Napanee as the County Town. Beverly Jones was active in the Committee to elect Richard J. Cartwright. June 10th was a very warm day. “The people began pouring into Town early to the nomination which took place in the market square. There must have been some 2000- 3000 [sic] people here”, he noted. When the polling took place a week later, Cartwright got a handsome majority. Then on June 24, Cartwright was returned by a 285 majority. “There was an immense crowd and they ate free gratis”, Jones noted in his diary.
Following this, a Royal Proclamation was issued in September naming Napanee as the County Town and appointing John Stevenson as its reeve, to preside at the Provisional Council held in Napanee on September 10, 1863. Beverly Jones noted September 11 that “the Provisional Council had approved $20,000 to build the buildings [County Court House and Jail].” One of his last entries in his diary before returning to Brockville noted that “the Provisional Council met here today – “Worked all day in office except taking a walk to buy James hickory nuts for Margaret Strachan.”
The separation of the Counties of Frontenac, Lennox and Addington in 1863 called for an entire new set of officers for Lennox and Addington. In September 1864, William Henry Wilkison was appointed the first county crown attorney and clerk of the peace for the County of Lennox and Addington. Then in 1869, he was appointed County Judge of Lennox and Addington by Sir John A. Macdonald.
Judge Wilkison was scheduled to attend a special Court of Revision in Kingston on April 16th, 1903 but he died suddenly at home the previous morning. His funeral took place at St. Mary Magdalene Church, Napanee, conducted by Canon Arthur Jarvis. From the Church, his remains were taken to the Napanee Railway Station. As arranged by E.W. Rathbun, Deseronto, a Bay of Quinte train draped in black, pulling three coaches carrying members of the Napanee Bar and English Church Clergy from Adolphustown to Tamworth, left the Napanee Station for the K&P Station. The coffin, covered in roses, lilies and carnations, rested in the first car. A cortege of 300 people, including members of the Kingston Bar and the Ontario Diocese clergy, moved up Brock Street to University Avenue and across to Princess Street to the family plot in Cataraqui Cemetery.
A memorial window at St. Mary Magdalene Church pays tribute to this kind hearted and popular Judge, who was also active in the Councils of the Church and Trinity College. He is remembered as a man with a hearty handshake and congenial manner, with a remarkable record for gaining the respect and confidence of the people. He served as County Judge for 34 years.
Warden of Lennox and Addington County, 1876
Bostain Hogle was one of the original party of Loyalists who settled in the township of Ernesttown. His father, John Hogle, was a captain in the British Army and met his death at the battle of Bennington. Of such stock was descended John Hogle who was born near Ernesttown Station in 1826. He owned a small farm near Link's Mills and at one time owned and operated a woolen-mill and plaster-mills on Mill Creek. He also claimed the distinction of having built and managed the first cheese factory in the township.
While he had no opportunity to distinguish himself in military service as did his great-grand parent whose name he bore, he was not averse to a battle in the field of municipal politics. Hogle was successful in seven contests for the deputy-reeveship of his native township and held the title of Warden for Lennox and Addington County in 1876.
While in the warden's chair he was appointed Collector of Customs at the port of Bath. He moved to the village and occupied, until his death in 1898, the old homestead of the late William Davy. The duties of his office were not very onerous, but such as they were, he executed them with a scrupulous regard for the preservation of the revenue, and was kind and courteous to all who had business relations with him in his official capacity.
Warden of Lennox and Addington, 1887
Member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, 1890 - 1905
James Reid bears the name of his grandfather who emigrated to Canada from County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1829. The elder James lived in Kingston for a few years after his arrival, spent a few more years in the township of Ernestown, and finally settled down in the eighth concession of Camden about three miles from Croydon. His infant son, Robert Reid, was four years old when he left his native land. He followed the fortunes of his father in the pioneer life in Camden and settled on a lot about three miles east of Enterprise, where he raised a family of nine.
James Reid, one of those nine, was born in 1848. Carman Creek crossed through the old homestead, and his father, utilizing the water-power of this stream, built a saw-mill upon its bank and combined the more lucrative occupation of lumberman with that of farmer. Young James devoted himself to getting out the timber, conveying it to the mill, and converting it into lumber; and became master of every branch of the industry. The mill had an annual of output of 1,000,000 feet of merchantable lumber.
In 1875 Mr. Reid married and took up farming in his native township, which he followed until 1908, when he was appointed registrar of deeds for the county. To most men lumbering and farming would not be chosen as a fitting apprenticeship for the somewhat intricate duties of the office of registrar; but Mr. Reid adapted well, fully justifying the appointment.
Reid regularly received public honours, although they were not always of his seeking. He was the first non-resident of the village of Newburgh to be appointed to the board of trustees of the Newburgh High School. He was a member of the municipal council of Camden for ten years, eight of which he was a member of Lennox and Addington County Council. He held the position of Warden for one term in 1887.
It was no small compliment to him that, in a riding with many aspirants for political honours, that Mr. Reid sat in the Legislative Assembly for fifteen sessions between 1890 and 1905. He proved himself a friend to scores of his constituents, and freely rendered his services to all applicants for his assistance, never stopping to inquire their political leanings or position in life.
A tribute by County Council in memory of the Late James Reid appeared in the June 22, 1928 edition of the Napanee Express:
Flag at Court House placed at half mast until after the funeral on Sunday afternoon, and the following resolution of condolence passed and forwarded to family of deceased: "That this Council record its deep sorrow at the decease of James Reid, who more than forty years ago became a member of the Municipal Council of the Township of Camden; and from that Township was sent to this County Council, where he rendered years of good service, and over which Body, during 1887, he presided as Warden. For 15 years he was the elected representative of the Riding of Addington in the Ontario Legislature, and afterwards, for some years he was Registrar of Deeds for this County. In him, this community has lost an able, faithful, painstaking and obliging Public Servant; his acquaintances have suffered the loss of a kind friend and wise counsellor; his family a loss irreparable."
David Wright Allison
Warden of Lennox and Addington, 1881
Member of House of Commons 1883 & 1891
D.W. Allison was known as the “old war-horse” of the Liberal party in Lennox and Addington. His grandfather, Joseph Allison, was one of the first Loyalist contingents to land in Adolphustown. A few hundred feet from that landing place is where, in 1876, the younger Allison built the handsome brick residence where he spent the last years of his life.
Primarily a farmer, Allison sought to better his fortune by engaging in many other lines of business, including shipping, mining, and lumbering, and he was never staggered by the magnitude of any speculative transaction. No man in his native township was more highly respected, as he was kind and generous to the poor and a friend and neighbour to all who knew him.
Allison passed through the stages of municipal politics from councilor of Adolphustown to warden of Lennox and Addington County in 1881. In 1882 Allison dared challenge the greatest statesman of his day when he engaged in a political contest for a seat in the House of Commons with Sir John A. Macdonald. Although Macdonald was elected, he was later unseated through acts of bribery committed by his agents. In 1883 the same contestants again entered the field, and this time Allison was victorious. He too held his seat for only one session, as he was called upon to pay the same penalty as Macdonald had paid the year before. In the bye-selection which followed Allison was defeated by M.W. Pruyn of Napanee.
In 1887, Allison was defeated by Uriah Wilson by only 20 votes. In 1891, Allison faced Wilson for a second occasion, this time securing a majority of sixty-one votes. Unfortunately this election was protested and the seat once more declared vacant. In 1892 he measured swords with Wilson for a third time, but failed to secure the requisite number of votes.
From the foregoing it will easily be seen that he earned the title which was applied to him by his friends.
The home built by D.W. Allison, known as the historic “Allison House”, is now the United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre. Owned and operated by the Bay of Quinte Branch of the United Empire Loyalists Association of Canada, the building contains artifacts, family papers, maps, records, charts, surveys, histories, as well as community and government records dating from the landing of the Loyalists in 1784. For more information please visit http://uel.ca/
Warden of Lennox and Addington, 1900
Thomas Symington was Lennox and Addington’s first Warden of the 20th Century. He was born at Douglas in Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1841 and came to Canada in 1846 with his parents, who settled upon a farm in Brighton township. He followed farming until 1874, when he came to Napanee and engaged in the grocery business. After selling his business interests in 1881, he travelled to Europe and toured the continent for a year before returning to Napanee.
A well-read and intelligent man, Symington was much concerned about public welfare, and often used his influence to improve the cultural life of the county. He built an opera house on Dundas Street, where not only local talent performed but also famous persons on tour. He believed that educational opportunities and wholesome recreation would attract men of character to stay in the county, or relocate to it, and that it was the duty of civic officials to provide such an ambience, if possible.
Unfortunately the opera house was burned in 1887 and was not rebuilt. In its place arose the stores east of the Royal Hotel (the former Richelou building) in which he again opened a grocery. He continued in the business for ten years, before engaging in the fur, seed, and evaporator business.
Thomas Symington was elected to Napanee Council on several occasions, was county commissioner for two terms, and Warden of Lennox and Addington in 1900. In office he pursued by the policy that commended itself to his judgment; and if the course he followed was questioned or attacked he never shirked the responsibility of defending his position.
The following article appeared in the Friday, February 10, 1905 edition of The Napanee Beaver. Written by ‘Albert’, it describes the happenings of the meeting held at the Campbell House during the annual Warden’s Supper.
The Warden, W. A. Martin, Esq., who was unanimously elected to the highest position in the gift of his fellow Commissioners (County Council), kept the time-honored custom of the Warden's supper at the Campbell House on Friday evening last. The guests were the members of the County Council, County officials and other friends to the number of nearly forty. Mr. Harry Taylor, the popular proprietor of the Campbell House, did himself credit on the occasion, the tables being beautifully decorated and the menu a long and varied assortment that tempted the inner man.
Col. Thos. Clyde made a very acceptable chairman, while W. S. Herrington, K.C., at the opposite end of the table, made a capable assistant, in his usual affable manner.
After all had thoroughly enjoyed the elaborate spread, the toast to "The King," was responded to by Sheriff Hawley, who said he had the honor of being born the same year as His Majesty. He referred briefly to the visit of the Prince of Wales, now King Edward VII., to Canada and had the pleasure of seeing him in Kingston. Mr. Hawley spoke in glowing terms of the host of the evening, and congratulated him on his success.
"The Army and Navy," was responded to by Col. Clyde, who said the Canadian youth possess the three great essentials of a soldier. He is a good marksman, he is brave, and he can endure hardship and fatigue. The armed Canadian had already given a good account of himself, and if the need should arise, he will do it again.
"Our Legislatures" was briefly taken up by Mssrs. J. T. Grange and M. S. Madole, followed by Mr. Herchimer Aylesworth, Deseronto Road, who rendered a solo in his usual good voice.
Messrs. H.A. Baker and M.C. Bogart responded to the toast, "The County Council," and delivered interesting addresses.
"Our Host," was ably handled by Mr. Martin. He said he had now attained his ambition in the County Council, and thanked those present for their attendance and kind words.
Mssrs. F. Burrows, I.P.S., and Geo Anson Aylesworth ably dealt with the toast, "Our Educational Institutions," the latter saying, in part, as follows: There are other educational institutions besides schools. It has been said that if you wish to properly educate a man, you must begin with his grandmother. The rigor of our climate compels those of us to labor who otherwise perhaps would be lazy all summer. When a man has gone through an election campaign or two he is very apt to have learned several things that he didn’t even suspect before. Actual life in any and all of its activities is itself the best University. And yet when a man has gone through all the schools, from kindergarten to University and through public service, has acquired experience and wisdom – what then? Why, just then, or shortly after – he dies.
Mr. H. Aylesworth favored those present with another solo, after which the remaining toasts were responded to by Mssrs. C. H. Edwards, W. G. Wilson and T. B. German.
Those present besides the host were:
M. C. Bogart, M. S. Madole, G. A. Aylesworth, C. H. Finkle, J. T. Grange, John English, W. P. Deroche, Irvine Parks, Thos. Symington, J. W. Hall, Stewart Paul, T. B. German, W. G. Wilson, H. Aylesworth, J. C. Creighton, W. A. Grange, Edgerton VanLuven, E. J. Pollard, W. S. Herrington, Arlie Benn, W. J. Shannon, Albert B. Root, Jas. Bryden, John Allison, Z. A. VanLuven, Geo. Woods, Morley Huffman, Dennis Lucas, F. P. Johnston, N. B. Miller, C. H. Edwards, H. A. Baker, M. N. Empey, F. Burrows, G. D. Hawley and Thos. Clyde.
W.A. 'Alf' Martin
Warden of Lennox and Addington, 1905
William Alfred Martin – or “Alf”, as he was known in and out of public life – was born in the fourth concession of the Township of Richmond in 1860. He received a common school education and attended the High School at Napanee for a few terms. He made the best use of his opportunities and did not lay aside his books when he returned to the farm. He moved with his parents to the township of Camden in 1883, and upon the death of his father in 1900, inherited the farm near Moscow.
Martin took an active interest in municipal politics beginning in 1892, when he was elected Deputy-Reeve of the Township of Camden. He represented that Township for many years, either as Reeve or County Commissioner/Councillor. Only once was he elected, yet for eleven years he represented Camden Township in the county council. He was elected deputy-reeve the year before the Councils Act took effect, an Act that formed county councils that were not members of township councils. During the ten years that the Act remained in force, Martin was the Commissioner for the Second County Council Division (Camden). He served as Warden of Lennox and Addington in 1905.
Martin was a man of good education, genial, a good speaker, well up in parliamentary procedure, and earned the honour which was conferred upon him, and which he was amply qualified to fill.
Content taken from History of the County of Lennox and Addington, 1913, W.S. Herrington, K.C and an article that appeared in the February 10, 1905 edition of The Napanee Beaver.
July 1, 1920
Dominion Day, July 1, 1920 was a cool, bright day. The street in front of the County Court House was roped off for a block on each side, in preparation for a quiet and solemn ceremony. The limestone pillars of the Court House were decorated with red, white and blue streamers. Between the pillars, shields, draped with Union Jacks, displayed the names of important engagements involving Canadians in the Great War. A temporary rostrum, draped with bunting and flags, had been placed in front of the Court House steps, awaiting distinguished guests. Chairs were placed to the right for a children’s choir and in front a war memorial monument, recently erected, was draped with the Union Jack.
The Great War, which had raged four long years, ended on November 11, 1918. The following year, County Council at their meeting November 18, approved a war memorial monument to be erected in front of the Court House. W.G. Wilson, the County Clerk, Reeve Graham, Napanee, Reeve Kimmerly, Kaladar, Reeve Edgar, Camden, and Reeve Weese, Ernestown, were named to a War Memorial Committee to look into the monument to be erected to the memory of those from the County of Lennox and Addington who fell in the Great War. In January 1920, the County Warden, Reeve W.W. Adams, Newburgh, and two additional councillors, Reeve Samuel Miller, Amherst Island and Reeve C.F. Allison, Adolphustown, were added to the Committee. On June 18, Council approved payment of the account of the Thompson Monument Company for $10,000.
In the early morning of July 1, 1920, people began to assemble on verandahs and roofs in anticipation of the unveiling of the new war memorial monument at 11 a.m.. 500 school children, the Naval Brigade Bugle Band of the Kingston Branch of the Navy League, and hundreds of local people, widows, friends and family, gathered on the Court House grounds. On the platform, the Warden of the County, W.W. Adams, and the County Clerk were joined by Major McNaughton, Brigadier General Ross, Colonel Hill, Major Kidd, and Major Nicholson. General Hill gave the unveiling address, congratulating the County on the way they were perpetuating the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. He paid tribute to the fallen from Lennox and Addington as “worthy sons of their forebearers, who rather than renounce the British flag, left home and property, and settled in Lennox and Addington.” He assured those attending that the “boys who sleep in Flanders, see with gratitude and appreciation, what you to-day are doing for them. Their sacrifice and memory should inspire all of us to go forward and preserve the freedom they so gallantly won for us.” He then drew the rope that loosened the flag and unveiled the monument. The soldiers stood at salute, and the others removed their hats and stood in solemn stillness as the hymn, ‘Nearer My God” was sung.
Set in the middle of a square between walks leading to the Court House, the hand finished monument was built of Barre Vermont granite, known as the “rock of ages’. Four stones, carved with the Union Jack on the top, were set into the terrace at the base of the monument. The names of World War One battlefields were engraved on the front facades. Standing over fourteen feet high, the sacrifice they provided for victory and peace was represented by sheathed swords and maples leaves, cast in bronze, supporting an urn at the top of the monument. The sides of the monument were engraved with the names of the soldiers from Lennox and Addington who fell in the Great War.
The County Warden proudly acknowledged that the ‘Second Division of the First Battalion was made up largely of soldiers from this district. Here we are among Loyalists and the sons of Loyalist fathers did not disgrace them, but stood the first attacks.” The morning of July 1, 1920 ended with the playing of the Last Post and the National Anthem.
All the soldiers’ names were published in the Napanee Beaver and the following year, W.S. Herrington and Reverend A.J. Wilson published the War Work of Lennox and Addington.
John Geale Daly
Warden of Lennox and Addington, 1944
At the January 1944 Session of Lennox and Addington County Council, Reverend Archdeacon Dumbrille of St. Mary Magdalene’s Church, opened the session. Following the reading of certificates of election, sixteen Reeves and Deputy Reeves took their seats. Napanee was represented by Reeve John Geale Daly and Deputy Reeve C.M. Stratton.
A motion to elect Mr. John G. Daly, Reeve of Napanee, to be Warden of the Lennox and Addington County Council for the year 1944 was carried unanimously. Ex-Warden E.J. Courneya and Sheriff J.L. Haycock escorted the Warden-elect to the chair. The Declaration of Office was read to the Warden by Mr. Gerald F. Smith, County Solicitor, who administered the oath of office to him. Congratulations were offered by all members of council and visitors including Ex-Warden’s D.W. Young and W.W. McCabe. Warden Daly then presented outgoing Warden Courneya with a handsome engraved cane.
Sadly, Warden Daly did not finish his term of office. On September 5, he died suddenly at his residence due to a heart attack.
He had been a prominent member of the Daly Tea Company. A son of the late Mr. and Mrs. George Daly, he was born a short distance west of Napanee in the Township of Richmond. His father was one of four Daly brothers who established a wholesale tea distribution business in Napanee.
The original members of the firm were George, Edward, Charles and Denis Daly. Years later the business was purchased by Edward Daly and Denis Daly. John Geale Daly and his brothers Herbert and William A. joined the firm in the 1890’s. Some years later, the three brothers purchased the firm when the partnership of Edward and Denis was dissolved.
John Geale Daly and his brothers moved the Daly Tea Company to a larger warehouse on Dundas Street in 1921. The building on the corner of East and Dundas Streets is still known locally as the Daly Tea Building, although it had been originally built by J.C. Huffman, druggist. Sale regions were expanded to include larger portions of Ontario and Western Canada.
By the 1930’s, many of the younger Daly’s had left Napanee for promising careers elsewhere. Then in 1933, Herbert Daly died. The company faced stiff competition from pre-packaged blends mass marketed by larger businesses. The disruption of shipping lanes during World War II delivered another blow.
Then, in 1943, William A Daly died, followed by John Geale Daly the next year. Unlike his brothers who had not taken an active part in public life, John Geale had been a member of Napanee Town Council since 1923, Mayor of Napanee in 1931 and Reeve of Napanee for eight years. He served on various committees in both councils.
At the September 19, 1944 meeting of County Council, two minutes silence was observed in respect for the late John G. Daly, Warden of the County. The Council elected Reeve Damon Bryden of Kaladar to be Warden for the balance of the year 1944.
Robert Wesley Kimmerly
Warden of Lennox and Addington, 1917
Robert Wesley Kimmerly was born in Flinton in 1856. He served as Reeve of Kaladar, Anglesea & Effingham for the duration of the Great War of 1914 to 1918.
Kimmerly served as Warden of Lennox & Addington in 1917. It was a busy time during his Wardenship as a number of issues presented themselves to County Council, several of which were related to the war effort and transportation infrastructure.
- It was announced by the Provincial Government that a network of highways would be constructed from Windsor to Ontario’s eastern boundary so that every section of the Province would be linked with a permanent highway. The Province would probably contribute 70 percent of the cost. A motion was made by county council requesting that the Provincial Government to absorb the costs of highways as they pass through towns.
- Signs were erected along roads throughout Lennox and Addington warning of dangers such as sharp turns and steep hills. Such signs were previously unknown in the county.
- Council passed a motion that $1,800 per month go to the Canadian Patriotic Fund, a fund for the assistance of wives, children and dependant relatives of officers and residents of Canada that were on war service. These funds were assessed on local taxes.
- A request was made to the Dominion Board of Railway Commissioners regarding a subway on Belleville Road. This request was not acted upon by the Commissioners.
- A $1,000 donation to the 254th Battalion was made for recruiting purposes.
- The Women of Equal Franchise Association requested that County Council ask the Dominion and Provincial Governments to introduce legislation giving women the franchise. The petition was filed.
Robert Wesley Kimmerly died in 1950 in his 94th year. He is buried in Deseronto Town Cemetery alongside his wife Ellen Jane (nee Alkenbrack).
Jesse & Roy Johnston:
Father & Son County Wardens
In 1923, five years after the Great War ended, Jesse Johnston, Reeve of Adolphustown, was elected Warden of Lennox and Addington County. Two decades later, his son Roy Johnston would also be elected County Warden.
When both Jesse and Roy Johnston served as County Wardens, the County of Lennox and Addington was made up of thirteen municipalities: the townships of Adolphustown, South Fredericksburgh, North Fredericksburgh, Amherst Island, Ernestown, Camden, Richmond, Sheffield, Kaladar and Denbigh, and the Town of Napanee, the Village of Bath and the Village of Newburgh. The County was still a rural farming community with population concentrated in the Loyalist south.
The inaugural meeting of the 1923 County Council was held at the County Courthouse on January 23, 1923. Jessie Shibley Johnston, Reeve of Adolphustown, was declared County Warden by unanimous standing vote. Taking over from ex-Warden R.J. Hannah, Camden Township, he pledged to “safeguard the interests of the Corporation, against waste or undue expense of funds.” He was welcomed by councillors singing “For he’s a Jolly Good Fellow”, followed by thirteen speeches by ex-councillors and new councillors.
Warden Jesse Johnston (1854-1936) brought with him a strong sense of history. The Minutes for June 12, 1923, published a list of County Warden’s since the separation from Frontenac, beginning with John Stevenson and continuing to J.S. Johnston, Reeve of Adolphustown.
Jesse was the great grandson of James Johnston, U.E., who had settled in Ernestown in 1784 with Jessup’s Loyal Rangers. Born at Bath in 1854, he married Helen Trumpour, Adolphustown, when he was 28. Jesse and Helen lived on the Trumpour farm in Adolphustown, with their two boys, James Roy and Thomas. After Helen’s death, the boys lived with their maternal grandparents, the Trumpours.
A war memorial monument engraved with the names of the fallen had been dedicated in front of the Courthouse three years before and the Lennox and Addington Historical Society had published the War Work of Lennox and Addington, recognizing the war service and sacrifice of the men and women from Lennox and Addington. In 1923, co-authors Reverend A.J. Wilson and W.S. Herrington, K.C., approached the Council for assistance with their War Work publishing costs. Council approved a grant of $400 to the Lennox and Addington Historical Society.
Warden Jesse Johnston took a special interest in road work and for many years was a member of the Special Roads Committee for the County. The County had over 170 miles of road to maintain. He attended annual meetings of the Good Roads Association in Toronto. The Minutes note payment of the County’s annual membership to Good Roads.
During the First World War when men were away overseas, County Road maintenance had suffered from the scarcity of labour. After the war ended, the County had adopted the Provincial Standards for roads since they were able to get a 60% reimbursement from the Province. During Jesse Johnston’s term, County Road 12, Ernestown, from Odessa to Road No. 3 Camden near Yarker, was brought into the Provincial County Road System. Councillors agreed that Provincial County Roads should be maintained in superior shape to County Roads despite several claims for damages to cars on County Roads that came before Council.
The Township of Amherst Island was given authority to spend 50% of their road grant on building and maintaining a ferry from Stella to Millhaven, and the road from Stella to the Presbyterian Church was adopted as County Road 20. Council also provided a special grant of $75.00 toward fixing Milsap’s Corner in Newburgh. Later in his term of office, road machinery useful in County Road work was purchased at the sheriff’s sale at Chisholm’s Mines, north of Enterprise.
Repairs to Haggarty’s Bridge, the Kingsford Bridge, the floating bridge at Millhaven, and the Indian Lake Bridge were supported. As well, construction of Flynn’s Bridge was undertaken thanks to provincial funding endorsed by W.D. Black, M.L.A.
Jesse Johnston farmed for almost three decades. When the Lennox Agricultural Society approached Council for a grant toward their annual exhibition, Warden Johnston didn’t hesitate to join the Society delegates and address Council on their behalf. Grants for other County Agricultural Societies were also approved, as long as they held a fair: Addington$500, Ernestown $300 and Amherst Island $450.
Jesse Johnston was gifted with considerable humour and made friends quickly. At the session of Council held om St. Patrick’s Day, the Warden and Clerk appeared with Shamrocks in their button holes. This caused the Councillors to burst into song, singing “It’s a Long, Long Way to Tipperary”, followed by Auld Lang Sine”. He also took delight in sending congratulations from Council to A.W. Haycock, son of J.L. Haycock of Adolphustown, on his election to the British House of Commons.
In December Warden J.S. Johnston hosted a Complimentary Banquet at the Campbell House, Napanee. He welcomed guests with a hearty Warden’s greeting –
We give you friends a hearty Warden’s greeting –
Just a cheery word or two ere you start eating;
For well ‘tis known the heart that’s feeling light
Is one thing needful for good appetite.
So may you now, this bright Fall day.
Approach the feast with spirits bright and gay.
At the end of his term of office, Council passed a motion to thank Warden J. S. Johnston, Reeve of the old UEL Township of Adolphustown for his “oft repeated hospitalities and entertainments”. In January and June, Council members had enjoyed oyster dinners at the Campbell House. Johnston had a warm spot in the hearts of Council for bettering his native county. This motion was carried unanimously with the singing “For He’s A Jolly Good Fellow’ and remarks from every member of Council.
Jesse Johnston served in council until 1934. He died May 27, 1936 and was buried in the Bath cemetery.
His son, James Roy, became a councillor in 1936 and became Reeve in 1938 for one year. He returned to Council in 1943 as reeve and continued in office until 1954. In 1947, James Roy Johnston was elected Warden of the County of Lennox and Addington, just after the end of World War II.
The post war years had a different flavour to the conviviality of the 1920’s. At the January 21 session of Council, County Solicitor, Gerald F. Smith, escorted Warden-elect Johnston to the Chair. In contrast to his father’s year as Warden, there was no singing of “For He’s A Jolly Good Fellow” or Auld Lang Sine”. Congratulations were offered by ex-Wardens. Then Warden Johnston presented an engraved cane on behalf of the 1946 County Council to the outgoing Warden, J.H. Brandon, Ernestown.
The Post War Planning and Development Committee and social issues were the focus on his term of office. Continuing in the tradition of his father, grants to the Agricultural Fairs of Lennox, Ernestown, Amherst Island and Denbigh were made, as well as a grant to the District Seed Fair for 1947. The Federal Government was asked to resume subsidies on coarse grain since the price of grain was affecting hog production.
Canadian Legion Branch 137 approached Council about employing veterans on Township work. Road concerns were still on the agenda. , including the possibility of an overhead bridge at Mooney’s Crossing. A Reserve Fund for County Road Machinery and appointing a County Road Superintendent were new initiatives. Council moved to sell the $9000 bond received from the Department of Transportation re the Sandhurst Airport Road and to request the Ontario Department of Highways to take over County Road 9, the River Road, from Napanee to Coles Ferry.
Council’s primary focus, however, turned to health, welfare and educational concerns. A grant of $700 was provided to Amherst Island for new secondary and elementary schools at Stella. As well, W.S. Herrington approached Council about a grant to the Napanee Public Library.
At the Courthouse, a new flag was purchased and an Underwood typewriter for the Sheriff’s Office. Solicitors Gerald F. Smith and Kenneth Ham approached Council about using the Grand Jury Room for a library for the legal profession in Napanee.
Council considered making the brick house, the former jailer’s residence, and garage at the rear of the County Registry Office available for use of the recently established County Health Unit. Then in April, Council initiated the purchase of a frame house on Robert Street for the Lennox and Addington County Board of Health under the Reserve Fund for Post-War expenditures. Carried by a vote of 10 yeas over 4 nays, the purchase was approved by the Department of Municipal Affairs and subsequently rented for $30 monthly.
During Roy Johnston’s term, County Council sponsored indigent patients at Kingston General Hospital and Hotel Dieu, committed children to the Children’s Aid and provided representation to a District Tubercular Sanatorium Committee. The Warden also participated on the Lennox and Addington Old Age Pensions and Mother’s Allowance Board.
A delegation led by Drs. Galbraith, Burns and Paul approached Council about a County Hospital. In March 1947, the Warden, Chair of the Finance Committee and County Clerk, toured Kingston Hospitals. However, by November Council had deferred any further action to the 1948 Council.
At the January 28, 1948 meeting of Council, Warden Reeve Fred K. Jackson presented ex-Warden J.R. Johnston with an engraved cane on behalf of the 1947 County Council. Fellow councillors commended Warden Johnston on the careful attention he gave to County affairs during his term of office and the fair manner in which he has conducted the meetings of Council. The jovial singing of the 1920’s was replaced with a hearty clap of hands, followed by the National Anthem.
James Roy Johnston died in 1954 at age 64. His funeral service was held at St. Alban’s Church where he had been married four decades before to Mabel Lillian Chalmers. Active in community and church work, Roy Johnston had also served as a church warden.
Both Warden Jesse Johnston and Warden Roy Johnston presented their Councils with County Council photographs.
In 2014 the County of Lennox and Addington celebrates its 150th year since incorporation. Excerpts from the minutes of County Council meetings held since 1864 provide an interesting and sometimes amusing look back over Lennox and Addington’s long history.
John Forin’s tender of $33,146.00 for the Court House and Jail was accepted. R.J. Cartwright’s offer of one and one-quarter acres in addition to the two acres also given as a site for the Court House and Jail was accepted. Thomas Hughes P.L.S. was paid $15.50 for surveying the grounds for the county buildings and plans.
There was a special meeting in the Judge’s Chambers Kingston when an offer of $57,500.00 was authorized, without prejudice, to make final settlement on the dissolution with Frontenac County. If arbitrator necessary, the Provisional Council selected the Honourable Benjamin Semour to act as arbitrator. Frontenac offer to take $63,000.00 – offer rejected. The Provisional Council offers $61,500.00, which was later accepted and agreement entered into September 17, 1864.
Marcus Parrot appointed County Engineer as of January 1, 1865, at $80.00 a year. Michael Temple was described as the Jailor. Councillors were to receive $1.50 a day on and after January 1, 1865.
John Stevenson was made Warden. As Amherst Island making an effort of being annexed to Frontenac County, a committee was appointed to investigate.
Two days were to be added to the pay list relating to the Reeve of Kaladar for each session attended due to the distance to travel.
The Property Report disclosed paying for losses sustained by the lessee of toll gate number five on the Kaladar Napanee Road, because of parties travelling around the said gate.
The report given on the proposed separation of Amherst Island disclosed the desires of Barrie, Kennebec and part of Tyendinaga to be attached to Lennox & Addington.
Bylaw Fourteen was passed for the suppression of intemperance and protection of the public morals. Section Four provided that it was not lawful for any person to utter any profane oath, any obscene, indecent, blasphemous or grossly insulting language in any of the streets or public places or highways within the county. Fines for violation ranged from $1.00 to $20.00 and, if not paid, a jail term of five to twenty days. The complainer was entitled to half of the fine and the County Treasurer the other half.
Court House keeper to receive $75.00 a year with firewood and use of land for garden plot. By a vote of ten to four it was decided that council members in future would be allowed mileage at the rate of five cents per mile. It was reported that the Court House roof was slightly defective and that the contractor agreed to complete by December 1st.
A petition was presented by J.J. Burrowes respecting a county hospital. It was referred to a select committee appointed to ascertain the cost of maintaining the poor. B.C. Davy was appointed solicitor to the council.
There was an expression of appreciation to the volunteers, who in the hour of threatened invasion nobly offered their services to repel the attack of a lawless horde. Agreed to pay fifty cents a day to the officers and men of the Napanee Troop of Calvary while on duty in assisting to suppress the late Fenion Raid. An amendment was made to pay twenty-five cents, but it was lost.
Ladies Aid Society of the Weslyan Methodist Church Napanee allowed free use of the council room, one afternoon each week when not occupied by council.
A grant of $50.00 was made to the Kingston General Hospital. The assessed value of property within the county for 1867 was $4,552,000.00.
Roof slates were to be removed and to be replaced.
Slate on Court House roof was replaced by shingles laid in mortar at a cost of approximately $750.00.
The committee was to correspond with Frontenac and Prince Edward re their uniting with this county for the erection of a House of Refuge and Poor House.
A committee met in Wycott’s Inn Odessa on October 10th and leased to the parties therein named the toll gates on the county roads. #1 - $735.00, #2 - $205.00, #3 - $835.00.
Bylaw Thirty passed June 11, 1869, and assented to by the Lieutenant Governor December 13, 1869, to establish a public ferry on Hay Bay between Napanee and South Fredericksburgh, which ferry was known as “Tubbs’ Ferry”. The fees were, for one person ten cents and horse and carriage with driver twenty-five cents.
The March sessions in 1869 and 1870 were abolished to economize.
Account for supplies for Jail – bread eleven cents, meat eight cents a pound and potatoes forty-five cents a bushel.
Tender of Sidney A. Lake for $4,800.00 to build Registry Office was accepted.
A committee was appointed to draft a memorial to the Dominion Parliament praying for a law to prohibit importation, manufacturing and sale of intoxicating liquor within the Dominion except for manufacturing, medical and chemical purposes.
Account of John Gibbard and Son for $6.00 for bedstead and mattress ordered paid.
Decision to elect warden by ballot and vote was to be taken without nominations. After the 21st ballot, without an election, the council adjourned to the next day.
Vestry of St. Mary Magdelene Church conveys thanks to council for use of Court Room for divine service during erection of the new church.
At request of a large deputation from a temperance convention on the 16th, a bylaw was introduced prohibiting the sale of intoxicating liquors and issuing of licenses therefore within the county. It was defeated as three-quarters of the members voted against it, but it was passed the following day and was to be submitted to the electors of each municipality. Repealed December 14, 1877.
Motion to light the Court Room and offices with gas was at first lost but it was passed later that day to obtain tenders and report at the next session. There were many subsequent motions and amendments at later sessions without action being taken.
A committee was to inquire into the desirability of employing a shorthand writer for inferior and superior Court sessions to lessen the duration of sessions of the said Courts.
Due to the proposed changes in the offices of the treasurer and clerk, the captains of the cavalry and artillery companies were to be notified that immediate use of the rooms now occupied as an armoury is required.
Fifteen votes to obtain a warden and then Mr. Allison had one majority over Uriah Wilson.
Suitable accommodation was to be made for the matron of the jail, as the prison inspector ordered she must remain in the jail during the night as well as the day.
The reeve of Denbigh to be allowed two days extra pay attending council, the reeves of Kaladar and Amherst Island each one extra day.
The question arose as to doing away with rail and board fences on county roads and substituting wire. Bylaw Ninety-one was passed giving a reward to any person who shall pursue and apprehend or cause to be pursued and apprehended any person guilty of stealing any horse or mare in the county and on conviction of the thief to receive $30.00 reward.
John Gibbard and Son claimed $15.00 damages to the hearse on the county road between Napanee and Morven. It was referred to committee on roads and bridges and Mr. Gibbard later took action. The reeve of Amherst Island requested his extra day’s pay be discontinued. On March 15th it was decided to defend the suit of Gibbard and Son.
Special committee report was adopted – favourably disposed to giving some assistance in building a monument to the memory of the United Empire Loyalists and wanted to be more fully advised.
A petition of Judge Wilkison and others to have phone communications between the Court House and the Town was granted. (A Bell Telephone account of $35.00 for June – December was later paid.)
Council agreed unanimously to accept an invitation to take a trip on the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway to Tamworth and return on Friday January 30th.
Account of J. Gibbard and Son for $11.00 for burying a pauper was referred to the Property Committee and was later passed less $1.00 for burying plot and digging grave.
Property Committee investigated the matter of building an ash house and water closet.
Telegram from the Reeve of Amherst Island that cable from the Island to the mainland was open for business.
Paid Township of Sheffield expenses of small pox epidemic $365.50.
Claim of John Oliver for damages for loss of horse in a pitch hole on the Napanee and Deseronto County Road – he received $35.00.
The committee investigating the appointment of a Police Magistrate for the county did not recommend same “as such appointments have not proven satisfactory in other counties”. A reference was made in 1887 to James Daly, Police Magistrate.
A special committee was appointed to draft an address “congratulate Her Majesty, our beloved Queen, on this her jubilee year”.
The Warden read a telegram he received from the Queen thanking the county.
Recommended that a committee investigate discrimination by Napanee High School Board in not charging tuition to the pupils of the Town and charging those outside. The committee found discrimination and their report was adopted eighteen to three (the three being the Napanee Reeve and Deputy Reeve and the North Fredericksburgh Reeve).
The invitation from S. Gibson, County Registrar, to the council for an oyster supper was accepted. (In the Property Committee Report of December 9, 1887, it showed they had obtained legal advice in regard to repairs made in the Registry Office and found the Registrar exceeded his authority.)
Thanks to W.F. Gibbard for a sail down the Napanee River last evening upon his neat, tasty and well equipped steam yacht, the “Vesper”.
In 1889 Camden is shown as having a reeve and three deputy reeves and Ernestown a reeve and two deputy reeves. North Fredericksburgh, Napanee, Richmond and Sheffield each had a reeve and deputy reeve.
Tender accepted of Thomas Trimble for fresh meat for jail at eight cents per pound and of Thomas Jamieson for bread for jail at $1.55 per dozen of thirteen loaves.
The deputation that went to Ottawa regarding the 1887 fire which had destroyed 84 buildings in Newburgh reported Sir John MacDonald, Prime Minister, accorded them a fair hearing. The burning of its high school, the loss of a costly bridge and the conflagration that swept away the entire business portion and most of the private residences that resulted in loss of taxes were fully presented. Sir John recommended they ask Ontario for a grant and when that was received to come back and he would ask Parliament to supplement it with a reasonable sum.
The Property Committee report, in view of the waterworks being in course of construction in Napanee, and it is under consideration between the contractor and the Town to extend the mains from East Street to the west corner of Adelphi and a hydrant placed there for the benefit of county property, provided the county pay a rental of $50.00 a year. It was passed but for a term not to exceed ten years.
Doctor Leonard’s account of $25.00, as to examining five lunatics remanded to our jail was paid.
The Clerk’s salary was reduced from $450.00 to $300.00 and F.A. Roe, Clerk, has entered a suit against the county. The Warden was instructed to defend it.
The east end of the covered bridge was repaired – large quantity of joints had to be replaced.
Dwelling to be erected on county property for use of the turnkey and to be west of the jail.
Motion of sympathy to be forwarded to Lady MacDonald on account of the serious illness of Canada’s Prime Minister.
J.M. Parrott, Treasurer, given notice unless his salary was kept at $700.00, council must look for another treasurer. Council to look for another at a salary of not more than 600.00.
Reported the dwelling for turnkey was erected for $1,661.20. Lease to be drawn between the Corporation and William Templeton of a rental of $1.00 per year for right of way through county property going into his backyard, as the said right might be held by possession.
J.M. Parrott offered $1,000.00 and twenty acres of land for the erection of a poor house provided the county would erect it. It was recommended that the incoming council give this careful consideration.
Moved by Mr. Keech, seconded by Mr. Bryden, that in view of discussions and time lost by this council in appointing the county treasurer and clerk of this corporation, owing to the different political complications of this council; therefore resolved, that it is expedient in the interests of this county that a reformer shall hold the office of treasurer, and a conservative the office of clerk, and that this council, in session assembled, pledge itself, so far as it can, to carry out the foregoing resolution. Upon which the yeas and nays were taken as follows: Yeas – Messrs. Baker, Bryden, Carson, Carscallen, Dafoe, Ham, Hodge, Keech, Lane, Long, Mallory, Meng, Patterson, Vanslyck, Wagar and Wilson – 16. Nays – Babcock, Derbyshire, Martin, Miller, Thomson – 5.
Bylaw 131 appointed W.G. Wilson County Clerk at $300.00 a year, he to furnish is own office free of charge.
Report was given as to the proposed flagstaff. It is to be forty feet long, ten inches in diameter at bottom and four and a half inches at the top.
The Warden asked council for an expression of opinion as to the advisability of reducing the number of county councillors. Unanimous opinion expressed in favour of reduction.
A report on the roads and bridges showed $40.58 spent for repairing the covered bridge.
The Grand Jury presentment of June 15th was considered at December session and clause three reads “we find it is quite necessary there should be water closets erected for the use of Court House sufficiently for any occasion. We are surprised to find that the Corporation is still using pit closets in direct contravention of the laws”. At January session it was on motion filed.
Chairman of Property Committee was authorized to settle the loss by fire in the jail with the Insurance Companies.
Bylaw 133 repeals all former bylaws establishing or assuming county roads. Clerk of each township having had county roads to be notified they would be responsible for all roads in their townships.
Property Committee report adopted and one clause was as follows: “recommended this council take into consideration the advisability of procuring an Eagle fire closet and night soil crematory for the jail”.
In the interest of peace and harmony a motion was made to follow the example of Hastings County and appoint alternately a recognized member of each of the known political parties of Canada, Warden in this county. The motion was lost on a vote of eleven to six.
Thomas Symington was to counter sign jointly with the Treasurer all cheques drawn for 1896, the Guarantee Company having requested that method of safeguarding the county.
A communication was received from the Ontario Good Roads Association. It was ordered filed and that they be notified the county has no county roads.
A High County Constable was elected in the person of Mr. Sills at $400.00 per annum without fees.
The tender of Boyle and Son was accepted for $900.00 to heat the jail with hot water.
A special session was called to meet with the commissioner appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council under the County Council’s Act 1896 to make county council divisions. This was done as follows: first division consisting of Denbigh, Ashby, Abinger, Kaladar, Anglesea, Effingham and Sheffield to be called “Highlands Division”. Second Division consisted of Camden and Newburgh – “Camden Division”. Third Division consisted of Ernestown, Amherst Island and Bath – “Ernestown Division”. Fourth Division consisting of Adolphustown, Napanee and South Fredericksburgh – “United Empire Loyalist Division”. Fifth Division consisted of Richmond and Napanee – “Napanee Division”.
An account of Bell Telephone Company for rent of instrument at the Court House $10.00 was ordered paid.
Two councillors from each division took their seats.
The usual grant of $400.00 to poor schools of the county was made.
Address of congratulations to Her Majesty on the 60th Anniversary of her brilliant yet peaceful reign. A bylaw was passed that the salary of high County constable be discontinued at the expiration of one year from the date of his appointment. Consideration was given by the Town and County Councils in reference to having the office of High County Constable and Chief of Police of Napanee united and one man appointed to fill both offices. Nothing was finalized at that time.
The Warden presented the council with an oil painting of Her Majesty the Queen.
Horticultural Society of Napanee given $15.00 to provide plants and flowers to adorn and beautify the Court House grounds.
Bylaw appointed Doctor R.A. Leonard Jail Surgeon at $75.00 a year, which was to cover fees for services rendered in the examining of lunatics confined in the jail.
There were twenty-five ballots as to the appointment of a caretaker, but no election. On December 8th the appointment made by the Warden was confirmed.
The contract of lighting the county buildings by electricity was awarded to John R. Scott.
Motion carried to employ a stenographer to take down the proceedings of the council.
Bylaw 170 established ferry across Napanee River between Lot 3 Concession 5 Fredericksburgh additional and the broken front in front of the east half of Lot 4 Concession 1 Richmond. To be propelled by horse power.
Thanks to the Warden, followed by singing “He Is A Jolly Good Fellow” led as usual by Councillor Oliver.
The matter of a grant to the patriotic fund or for the purpose of insuring the lives of the three men from this county who had joined the South African Contingent was left in the hands of the Warden and Mr. Oliver with power to act.
Insurance was taken on the lives of three volunteers, who have gone from this county to South Africa for $1,000.00 each and the mothers were made beneficiaries.
Communication from Henry Philson that this nephew Corporal E.A. Philson a member of the South African Contingent had died and made reference to the insurance on his life.
Wire to be sent to Governor General expressing sympathy at the death of our beloved Queen. Court House to be draped in mourning. Report made that Robinson & Company was to do the draping; to have the material after its removal – coat of arms in the Court Room, Queen’s picture in the council chambers, front of Court House and flag to be draped.
Belleville Hospital Board’s appeal for assistance was filed.
Bylaw passed limiting rates that council would pay for county advertising in the local press.
Deputation from Napanee Public Library Board of Messrs. Herrington, Ruttan and Peck asking for grant. Motion that $50.00 be granted was lost.
A resolution of condolence was drafted relating to the death of the late Judge Wilkison.
Clerk to notify telephone company to put the instrument in the Court House in proper order or to remove it.
There was a joint meeting with the councillors of Frontenac to discuss the erection of a House of Refuge jointly by both counties. Information was to be sought from the minor municipalities and from the managers of the House of Industry and the House of Providence in Kingston.
Grand Jury in its presentment of December 9, 1903 expressed the opinion that the present method of electing county councillors was not as beneficial as the method in use some six years ago.
A special committee of the County Council stated the present mode of selecting councillors was preferable than under the law prior to 1896 and that “we have carefully gone over the names of the gentlemen comprising the said Grand Jury and we find that not one of them had ever served on this council board and in our opinion their experience in municipal matters was very limited”.
Reference was made that Canada Portland Cement Company at Strathcona had closed down.
A motion was passed that the amounts expended by the municipalities for maintenance of the poor would not warrant the county erecting a House of Refuge.
The telephone in the Court House was to be changed to a long distance instrument.
It was moved and carried that the council pay $25.00 reward to any person securing the conviction of any driver violating within this county the act relating to the speed of automobiles.
The county reverted to the former system of reeves and deputy reeves being elected from each municipality, which resulted from an act respecting county councils passed 14th May 1906.
Bylaw passed appointing D.A. Nesbit, Public School Inspector, J.M. Denyes, Principal of Newburgh High School and Mr. R. Reid, Science Master of Napanee Collegiate Institute, members of Board of Examiners for licensing of public school teachers. (Principal Flach of Napanee Collegiate Institute later replaced Mr. Reid.)
Resolution to be sent to Grand Trunk Railway regarding annoyance to the Courts when in session and to the public schools, caused by the continued whistling and shunting of cars and requesting instructions to be given to have the same discontinued.
It was decided to heat the Registry Office by a hot water plant.
Communication from County Clerk of Prince Edward as to going in with them jointly in the House of Refuge was read and filed.
Report of Public School Inspector showed the highest teacher’s salary was $500.00. The average salary of male teacher $316.00 and of female $276.00.
Bylaw passed to provide for care and maintenance of the poor of this county at the House of Providence and the House of Industry Kingston.
Deputation from Napanee consisting of F.W. Smith, J.F. Smith, Madill and Vandusen asking for a grant to aid in construction of docks for the Hay Bay Ferry. A motion was made that a grant be made of $50.00 for repairs to the road leading to the ferry, but it was lost.
A motion was made that $1,000.00 be spent on the covered bridge, Napanee - lost
Endorsed petition of County of Kent that farm buildings be exempt from taxation.
Pictures of Warden in Council Chamber to be completed by a card giving their names and dates of office.
$500.00 grant to Bath School Board to assist in rebuilding their school destroyed by fire.
Deputation from Napanee waited upon Council regarding a county hospital. The Finance Committee was to inquire into and report at next session.
Phones were to be placed in the office of the Sheriff and County Court Clerk and County Treasurer and the one in the Court House shall be removed.
A communication from Herrington, Warner and Grange on behalf of Doctor C.M. Stratton for $25.00 damages to buggy on county road was ordered paid.
Inquiry of the local press was to be made why the reporters did not attend sessions of the Council and report its proceedings according to contract.
Council accepted the invitation of the president of Lennox & Addington Historical Society to attend its meeting Friday evening.
Clarance Warner asked for financial assistance for the Historical Society, which was referred to the Finance Committee.
The question of uniting with Frontenac for jail purposes was considered, but no action taken.
Mr. Bacon, Shakespearian actor and vocalist afforded entertainment to the council for a short time and invited council to attend his entertainment in Trinity Church that night.
Council was in accordance with the bill to be presented before the Dominion Parliament prohibiting the importation, manufacturing and sale of cigarettes and a copy of this resolution to be sent to our member at Ottawa.
Seventeen members and officials attended the Good Roads Convention Toronto and were allowed committee services of $18.00 each.
County atlases obtained for County Treasurer and Registry Office at a cost of $13.00.
$19.00 account of Ming and Hambly, undertakers, was ordered paid – this was in connection with a murdered man at Haag’s Circus.
As it is compulsory for the county to take care of the poor and neglected children, a grant of $600.00 for 1915 was made to the Children’s Aid Society in lieu of a Children’s Shelter.
Invitation accepted to attend garden party at W.S. Herrington’s – proceeds for the Red Cross fund.
Man and team to be paid for snow shovelling on county roads not exceeding thirty cents an hour.
House formerly occupied by the Jailer to be rented.
In place of giving a Warden’s dinner, Warden T.J. Cook announced he would present $25.00 to the Red Cross fund, which was apparently appreciated by the members of Council. Communication from Newburgh Red Cross thanking Warden for $25.00 grant.
M.S. Madole and W.J. Gibbard of Grace Methodist Church asked Council to lease county’s lands in west ward Napanee to the church as a tennis ground – Property Committee to report.
As County Council felt the vacant lot near the high school might be needed for storing county machinery and as trustees of the church would not rent for less than five years, no action was taken.
Lennox & Addington branch of the Canadian Patriotic Fund was established.
C.W. Vandervort was presented with $1,000.00 cheque, amount of life insurance on his son effected by the Lennox & Addington Patriotic Association. Harriet McConachie also received $260.00 re death of her son Raymond.
Automobile Club complained of condition of Napanee roads.
Asked the Ontario Government to require “dimmers” on automobile headlights.
J.E. Madden and Harold Anderson appeared in reference to Mr. Anderson’s claim for damages to auto.
Grant for Canada Patriotic Fund to continue at $1,800.00 a month.
J.E. Madden claimed $10.00 damages for Clarence Vine for injuries to auto on county road.
Council recommended to the Department of Highways that the route for the proposed provincial highway from Shannonville to Napanee be the north one, namely via Marysville instead of through Deseronto.
Special session called to consider ways and means to stimulate maximum production of essential food stuffs this year.
Resolution similar to that of Toronto was passed asking the Governor General to abolish the Senate.
By a special session $10,000.00 was voted to the Navy League of Canada, Ontario Division.