The Township of Stone Mills is a pastoral vista, with rolling green hillsides, rugged limestone outcroppings, picturesque lakes and meandering streams and rivers. As well as an active agricultural community, the Township is home to a number of artists and entrepreneurs. The community is proud of its heritage and committed to good stewardship, for the benefit of generations to come, through its conservation and environmental protection initiatives, as well as green energy.
The Township of Stone Mills was established on January 1, 1998 by the amalgamation of the former Townships of Camden East and Sheffield and the Village of Newburgh. Camden East Township had been named in 1805 in honour of the Earl of Camden, a former Lord Chancellor in England. One of the earliest documented families arrived between 1800 and 1884. Albert Williams moved from Fredericksburgh to Camden East village, clearing land for a farm that is now in the hands of the fifth generation of Williams’. (Frank Edwards, The Smiling Wilderness, County of Lennox & Addington, 2005).
The official survey of Sheffield Township’s 83,000 acres was completed in 1822. The Township was named for Lord Sheffield, John Baker Holyroyd (1734-1821), an Irish lord who championed a variety of Canadian causes in the British Parliament.(The Smiling Wilderness).
The Village of Newburgh at one time rivalled Napanee in size and prestige, its fortune based on booming factories. In 1839, the Village Fathers founded an Academy to offer secondary education to local children and by 1853 had moved it to an imposing two-storey edifice on a hill to the west of the village centre. Also in the 1830’s the village’s name was changed from Rogue’s Hollow to Newburgh. In 1863, after years of bitter rivalry with Napanee, Newburgh lost its bid to become the seat of the newly independent Lennox & Addington County. (The Smiling Wilderness).
The Township is governed by a seven-member Council, including the Reeve as Head of Council and a Deputy-Reeve. Both the Reeve and Deputy Reeve serve on Lennox & Addington County’s eight-member Council.
Map of the Township of Stone Mills